F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Zandvoort's Dutch Grand Prix chances are fading

Zandvoort, the historical venue of the Dutch Grand Prix, is unlikely to host a world championship race in the future says the circuit's owner, Bernhard van Oranje.

Speculation of a return of Formula 1 ramped up last year, with Zandvoort, Assen and even street races in Amsterdam or Rotterdam seen as possible contenders for hosting a Dutch Grand Prix.

The last two aforementioned cities were quickly ruled out however, but Zandvoort, which last hosted the Dutch Grand Prix in 1985, remains in talks with Liberty Media although chances of watching F1 cars racing once again around Holland's dunes appear remote.

"We are talking to Liberty Media, but the chance that it succeeds is not that great," van Oranje told Dutch publication Formule 1.

"Many countries are willing to pay any price for Formula One. The fee to Liberty Media alone is around $20 million, which no circuit produces with ticket sales.

"So there must also be money from investors and that is what we are doing now," said Zandvoort's owner.

The promoter is holding on to his dream for now but admits its realization is a near impossible task given the appeal of new markets to the sport.

"Liberty has said that they want classic European races, but at the same time it makes little sense to have so many races in Europe," van Oranje added.

"New markets like Mexico are more interesting to them. For me as a promoter it's a difficult story, but as long as there is a chance, we will continue."

He also played down the fact that FIA chief Charlie Whiting recently inspected Assen.

"Whiting has also been to us, so it doesn't mean anything," said the Zandvoort chief.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

8 hours ago

Antonelli sees fixes, Russell stumbles as Bahrain reveals issues

Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…

9 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 6 in pictures

F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…

9 hours ago

Ferrari's Leclerc dominates final day of testing in Bahrain

Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…

10 hours ago

Vettel reveals his ‘gut feeling’ title favourite for 2026

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…

12 hours ago

Honda issues sink Aston Martin’s final day of running in Bahrain

Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…

13 hours ago