F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Esteban Ocon out to fulfill his Mercedes bosses' 'targets'

With an opportunity possibly up for grabs at Mercedes in 2019, Force India's Esteban Ocon is to perform beyond expectations in order to have his foot in the German team's door by year end.

This season will see a number of drivers under pressure to deliver the goods, but the common denominator linking everyone together is a coveted seat at Mercedes.

Valtteri Bottas is determined to retain his coveted drive, but Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo and pink panthers Ocon and Sergio Perez will be lurking in the wings, eyeing the precious drive.

The young French driver was massively impressive is his first full season of Grand prix racing last year, coupling his remarkable consistency with an equally noteworthy level of performance.

A Mercedes protégé, Ocon logically has a Silver Arrows in mind for 2019, but a move to the Brackley squad will likely require a few outstanding achievements in addition to reaching the targets set by his employers.

"I think it is one of the most important years of my career," Ocon told Autosport.

"After learning a lot last year everybody is waiting for me to confirm this year, which is quite normal. It’s what my bosses are looking at."

The 21-year-old won't obsess over his future however, but simply put his head down in Melbourne, do his very best and lift it up when Abu Dhabi comes around in November.

"My career’s managed by Mercedes so my bosses set me some targets for this year and I have to respect them," he adds.

"I feel like if I do a strong job here there will always be plenty of opportunities, but at the moment I’m fully focused on Force India and that’s the important thing."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

9 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

10 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

11 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

12 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

13 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

14 hours ago