F1 News, Reports and Race Results

'Astonished' McLaren to investigate depressed qualifying pace

McLaren fell well short of its aim of putting both its cars in the top-ten in qualifying for the Bahrain Grand Prix, with race director Eric Boullier "astonished" by the team's under-performance.

In an early sign that the session would likely be a complicated one for the Woking-based outfit, Fernando Alonso barely made it into Q2.

Ultimately however, the Spaniard concluded his day in P13, one spot ahead of team mate Stoffel Vandoorne as both MCL33 cars suffered from an inexplicable lack of pace.

"Obviously it’s a bit of a surprise, based on the pace we had in FP3," Boullier told Sky F1.

"There is a need for a big investigation.

"On his last lap Fernando found some pace in Sector 2 and Sector 3, which would have helped earlier. We need to find out what’s going on.

"The balance is fine, obviously there’s a lack of grip, that’s my conclusion for the poor performance, but they don’t report anything wrong."

Alonso vowed to remain optimistic for Sunday's prospects, believing McLaren will once again come into its own in the race, as it did two weeks ago in Melbourne.

"The race pace has been better than quali pace so far for us," said the two-time world champion.

"Definitely we don't start in the ideal position, but it is the way it is. We didn't have more speed today, we need to find some for tomorrow."

Boullier suggested that perhaps the Bahrain layout had been part of the team's week Saturday showing.

"We were struggling last year in Bahrain as well, which is something we need to investigate for this layout," said the Frenchman.

"Our pace in Australia was not a dream, it was real in the race, and we know it will be better here tomorrow than the one-lap pace.

"But we need to find out why. We need to ask some questions at the factory.

"Like all of us on the pit wall, to be honest, I’m a bit astonished and we need to understand what happened."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Wehrlein survives London chaos to seal second Formula E crown

Pascal Wehrlein has done it again – but the Porsche charger had to endure a…

13 hours ago

Hill closes the curtain on Brabham's glorious story

On this day in 1992, a Brabham appeared for the very last time on the…

17 hours ago

Legendary McLaren F1 GTR crushes auction expectations in Monterey

Few machines blur the lines between engineering, art, and pure racing heritage like Gordon Murray’s…

18 hours ago

Mercedes: Frantic F1 development pace sparked by ‘immature rules’

Mercedes may hold a commanding position in the standings as the season approaches its second…

19 hours ago

Former Sky F1’s Rachel Brookes confirms exciting new venture

Former Sky Sports F1 reporter Rachel Brookes has mapped out her next destination following her…

20 hours ago

Bortoleto makes long-term F1 future clear: ‘I’ll be with Audi’

Gabriel Bortoleto has made it clear that his future lies firmly with Audi, with the…

21 hours ago