New F1 engine will have ‘more power’ - Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone says a new specification of F1 power unit “will probably have more power”, ahead of its planned announcement early next week.

As reported earlier in the weekend, the FIA and Ecclestone have been pushing ahead with plans to allow a second power unit specification which would be cheaper than the current 1.6-litre V6 plans. The move is designed to remove power from the current manufacturers and allow an independent engine manufacturer to supply smaller teams as well as Red Bull, which is currently without a deal.

Ecclestone expects an official announcement to be made early next week and says he doesn’t see the change as creating a two-tier system in F1.

"The FIA will put out a press release on Monday or Tuesday, I don't know,” Ecclestone told reporters in Austin, adding that a “couple” of manufacturers were being targeted.

"[The new engine] will probably have more power, and use more fuel. So it means, I suppose, that there will be some regulation changes, which has already been anticipated for 2017, so there’s nothing new.

"We used to have people running turbo engine and people running normally aspirated. It wasn't a two-tier system. It was a choice. Whatever it is, I anticipate [Mercedes] will be able to continue running their engine and others running the other engine.”

And Ecclestone says there could be a return to refuelling for those running the new power unit specification to limit the deficit in performance from a less economical engine.

"Obviously it can be done. Maybe we will have refuelling again for those that want it. If people have an engine that is super efficient they won't want to obviously. They don't have to."

F1 closing on two-tier engine regulations

Technical analysis: Exclusive pictures of the 2015 Honda power unit

Click here for the F1 drivers' girlfriends gallery

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Dutch GP red-flagged as Verstappen crashes heavily

Max Verstappen will have delivered a memorable final display to his fans in the Dutch…

2 hours ago

The passing on August 23 of two great racers

Their paths intertwined but as determined racers, Guy Ligier and Didier Pironi took very different…

3 hours ago

Relaxed Russell insists ‘the pressure is off’ in title fight-back

George Russell may have a 56-point mountain to climb if he is to overhaul Mercedes…

3 hours ago

Hamilton confident of holding on to ‘guys up ahead’ in Dutch GP

Lewis Hamilton qualified only fifth at Zandvoort, but the Ferrari driver concluded Saturday with a…

4 hours ago

Zandvoort Speed Trap: Who is the fastest of them all?

Sunday morning has arrived at Zandvoort, and preparations – mechanical and tactical – are at…

6 hours ago

Honda engine ‘lottery’ leaves Aston Martin drivers nowhere

Aston Martin arrived at Zandvoort with Honda’s promising new power unit bolted to the back…

7 hours ago