He's endured a difficult launch to his career in F1, but a rumor of his impending exit from Toro Rosso is news to Brendon Hartley.

Speculation around the Kiwi's future started at the Spanish Grand Prix two weeks ago with a few paddock pundits whispering that Monaco could be the 28-year-old's last race.

Hartley has indeed struggled since appearing on the grid late last year, when Toro Rosso shuffled its driver line-up following the eviction of Daniil Kvyat and Carlos Sainz transfer to Renault.

His relative weakness in performance against team mate Pierre Gasly and a few on-track mishaps haven't helped his cause, but he dismisses any talk of Toro Rosso calling it a day.

"I was surprised to hear that. I have a contract, so I was surprised to hear," Hartley told Crash.net.

"There's always a lot of rumours in Formula 1, so as a driver, it's better not to read too much. I know that I'm a team player.

"I'm working very hard behind the scenes. I know I'm more than capable," he said.

"I think people sometimes have quite short memories in Formula 1. Things move very quick, and from one weekend to the next, the whole story can be a very different one.

"There are plenty of critics. As a driver, you're your own biggest critic."

Negative rumors are never a driver's ally, which is why Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko also denied the speculation surrounding Hartley, although rather mildly.

Queried on the subject in Spain, and the possibility of giving Hartley's seat to Pascal Wehrlein, Marko said "that's not the intention at the moment".

Not exactly the ringing endorsement Hartley was hoping to hear…

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Are Horner and BYD exploring a shock F1 future?

A swirl of paddock intrigue has followed reports that Christian Horner spent last weekend in…

36 minutes ago

‘That drives me mad’: Smedley tears into slow F1 race engineers

Former Ferrari and Williams engineer Rob Smedley has launched a blistering critique of modern Formula…

2 hours ago

Norris hoping to plug in to Formula E with future track test

Fresh from witnessing the action at last weekend’s Monaco E-Prix, Lando Norris openly admitted that…

3 hours ago

Honda's target in Montreal: Help drivers ‘build more confidence’

Honda heads into this week’s Canadian Grand Prix carrying both cautious optimism and clear intent,…

5 hours ago

Panis pulls off a stunner in the Principality

If you're going to win just a single Grand Prix in your F1 career, Monaco…

6 hours ago

Indy 500 front-row starter Rossi injured in massive practice crash

Alexander Rossi’s preparations for next weekend’s Indy 500 were thrown into chaos on Monday after…

7 hours ago