F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Ricciardo still hoping to avoid a grid drop in Montreal

Daniel Ricciardo is keeping his fingers crossed he'll be spared a painful grid penalty for Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix despite Adrian Newey's view to the contrary.

Earlier this week, it emerged that Renault could possibly salvage the MGU-K component that failed on the Aussie in the Principality, almost wreaking havoc on his victorious run to the checkered flag.

But Red Bull tech boss Adrian Newey later insisted the part was a "burnt out, charred wreck" after the race and would thus need to be replaced.

Ricciardo is hopeful however that Renault will be able to substitute the part with the one previously used this season as drivers are allowed just two MGU-Ks for the entire season before a 10-place grid penalty kicks in.

"We’re hoping that what we start with tomorrow will run all weekend and if that’s the case, then no penalties," said Ricciardo.

"I guess there was a little bit of miscommunication (earlier in the week). I would much rather take the penalties elsewhere.

"We’ve got good momentum right now and it’s a circuit where it’s tricky to overtake so you don’t want to be starting 10th or 15th, or somewhere down there. We’ll try and survive this weekend."

Given a choice, Ricciardo would rather take a grid drop at the championship's next round, at the Circuit de Castellet in France.

"It could come as soon as Paul Ricard," he said.

"When I heard whispers about a potential penalty here, at that point I was like ‘I’ll take it in Paul Ricard but not here’."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

14 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

16 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

17 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

19 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

20 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

21 hours ago