Daniel Ricciardo is keeping his fingers crossed he'll be spared a painful grid penalty for Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix despite Adrian Newey's view to the contrary.
Earlier this week, it emerged that Renault could possibly salvage the MGU-K component that failed on the Aussie in the Principality, almost wreaking havoc on his victorious run to the checkered flag.
But Red Bull tech boss Adrian Newey later insisted the part was a "burnt out, charred wreck" after the race and would thus need to be replaced.
Ricciardo is hopeful however that Renault will be able to substitute the part with the one previously used this season as drivers are allowed just two MGU-Ks for the entire season before a 10-place grid penalty kicks in.
"We’re hoping that what we start with tomorrow will run all weekend and if that’s the case, then no penalties," said Ricciardo.
"I guess there was a little bit of miscommunication (earlier in the week). I would much rather take the penalties elsewhere.
"We’ve got good momentum right now and it’s a circuit where it’s tricky to overtake so you don’t want to be starting 10th or 15th, or somewhere down there. We’ll try and survive this weekend."
Given a choice, Ricciardo would rather take a grid drop at the championship's next round, at the Circuit de Castellet in France.
"It could come as soon as Paul Ricard," he said.
"When I heard whispers about a potential penalty here, at that point I was like ‘I’ll take it in Paul Ricard but not here’."