F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Vettel handed three-place grid penalty for blocking!

Sebastian Vettel has been thrown off the second row of the grid for tomorrow's Austrian Grand Prix after race stewards handed him a three-place penalty.

The Ferrari driver had finished qualifying in third place, putting him immediately behind the all-Mercedes front row. But now he will start from sixth instead.

He had been under investigation for an incident that took place late in the second round of qualifying.

Vettel has just completed a flying run and was on his slow-down lap. He was cruising through turn 1 when the Renault of Carlos Sainz approached at high speed at the beginning of his own final qualifying run of Q2.

Vettel admitted he had not seen the Renault in his mirrors, and he had not received a radio call from the Ferrari pit wall to warn him of its approach.

Sainz had to take evasive action which sent him off track, damaging his front wing. Fortunately the Spanish driver's existing time in Q2 was still good enough to put him through to the final round, and into the top ten pole shoot-out.

"Obviously I wasn't meaning to block him or ruin his lap," Vettel told reporters afterwards. There was no intention, obviously. Normally I get told [by my race engineer] but on this occasion I wasn't."

Sainz gesticulated angrily at Vettel at the time, but had cooled down by the time he spoke to the media having qualified in ninth place.

"It's tough luck on him that he wasn't told I was coming," he told Sky Sports F1. "I don't want to put too much blame on Sebastian."

However the stewards took a dim view of Vettel's lack of awareness in the situation.

"It is the belief of the Stewards that notwithstanding the absence of a radio call, the driver of car 5, being aware of the issue of rear vision with his mirrors, should not have been so slow and on the racing line, during a slowdown lap in Qualification," they said in an official FIA bulletin.

"Having reviewed all alleged impeding incidents since the beginning of 2016, the penalty of a drop of three grid positions is consistent with all other similar incidents."

As well as the three-place grid penalty, Vettel has received a penalty point on his superlicence. That makes it six for the last 12 month period.

Vettel also incurred the displeasure of the race stewards last weekend when he spun Valtteri Bottas at the start of the French Grand Prix.

With Vettel demoted down the grid, Kimi Raikkonen will now move up into the vacant third place grid spot. He will be joined on the second row by Red Bull's Max Verstappen.

Haas will be celebrating a fifth-place start for Romain Grosjean, with Vettel now due to start alongside him. He will be keen to make up for lost ground the minute the lights go out at the Red Bull Ring on Sunday afternoon.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Japanese GP: Friday's action in pictures

Formula 1 sprung into action on Friday at Suzuka, but while FP1 was an orderly…

11 hours ago

Hamilton ‘getting more comfortable’ with Ferrari SF-25

Lewis Hamilton is steadily carving out his place at Ferrari, growing more accustomed with each…

12 hours ago

Russell hails positive day, with Mercedes car ‘handling nicely’

George Russell labeled his opening day of running at Suzuka as “positive”, with the Mercedes…

13 hours ago

Alpine confirms Doohan crash triggered by DRS ‘misjudgment’

Alpine has confirmed that Jack Doohan’s failure to close his car’s DRS as he sped…

14 hours ago

McLaren drivers eye Mercedes as key rival in Suzuka

McLaren chargers Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri have pinpointed Mercedes as their primary threat at…

15 hours ago

Verstappen lacking ‘confidence and commitment’ in Red Bull car

Max Verstappen admitted that he is lacking indispensable “confidence and commitment” in Red Bull’s RB21…

16 hours ago