Circuit of the Americas Chairman Bobby Epstein admits last weekend’s USGP proved to be “financially devastating” due to terrible weather conditions but also the return of the Mexican Grand Prix.
Heavy rain massively disrupted the proceedings at Austin, which led to the cancellation of Friday’s FP2 and the postponement of qualifying to Sunday morning. Although the race eventually delivered one of the most thrilling contests this year, Epstein says the damage had already been done.
“It was a tough weekend,” the COTA boss told the Austin American-Statesman, before labeling the event “financially devastating for the company” that runs the venue.
“We lost millions on concessions. And we suffered from some fans having such a bad experience they won’t be back, though I hope we can change their mind.”
But Epstein does not think Hurricane Patrica was the sole reason why only 101,667 people walked through the circuit's gates on race day, down from an estimated 107,778 in 2014 and a third consecutive drop since it started hosting F1 in 2012.
Fears that Mexican spectators, who had always flocked to neighbouring COTA in big numbers, would be lured away by the sport's return to Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez turned out to be well founded.
“The Mexico race hurt us,” added Epstein. And while he would not give any specific figures, the Chairman conceded that the declining Mexican attendance resulted in a loss of “millions” for his track.
Scheduled back-to-back with the US race, the Mexican Grand Prix welcomes back F1 for the first time since 1992.
Chris Medland's Mexican Grand Prix preview
Technical analysis: United States
Click here for the F1 drivers' girlfriends gallery
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…
Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…
Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…
Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…
Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…
As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…