Hartley seeing things 'a lot clearer' at Toro Rosso

Toro Rosso driver Brendon Hartley says that he's really beginning to find his feet in Formula 1, despite continuing speculation that he'll be out of the team at the end of the current season.

The Kiwi was a surprise call-up by the squad for last year's United States Grand Prix. He was then handed a full-year deal for 2018. But so far he's only finished in the top ten twice - in Baku and Hockenheim - which leaves him trailing his team mate Pierre Gasly.

Even though rumours earlier in the season suggested that Lando Norris could replace him as early as the summer, Hartley believes his position is secure - for the time being at least.

“I feel in a good place mentally," he said this week. "Even after the rumours and a bit of pressure early on.

"[It] makes me feel a lot stronger coming out the side of that,” he continued. "I see things a lot clearer. A lot learned.

“There were some tough times in the beginning where I made a couple of mistakes, where I had opportunities to capitalise.

"But I feel in the last four or five races feel like I’ve been on top of things and don’t have the points to show from it."

He missed out again last weekend at the Hungaroring, where he finished in 11th place - just missing out on the final points-paying position.

“Disappointed not to get points on the board on the weekend," he admitted. "I think I did a strong performance all weekend, but sometimes that’s racing.

Hartley said that a poor strategy call had affected his chances in Hungary: "The way the race worked out I wasn’t able to finish in the points.

"I was stuck behind [Carlos] Sainz during the first half of the race when he was on a harder tyre," he explained.

"We then reacted too early to [Nico] Hulkenberg pitting behind and putting the medium tyre, which didn't give me the best performance.

"I made no mistakes, I had a good start but unfortunately no points to show for it.

"I didn’t really feel like I put a foot wrong, which has been a bit the theme in the last five or six races."

Hartley subsequently took part in the in-season test at the circuit in the Pirelli-run entry before signing off for the summer break.

He's now keenly aware that he needs to up his game and deliver breakthrough performances when Formula 1 reconvenes at Spa and Monza if he's to have any realistic chance of extending his stay in F1.

“Some positives," he insisted as he looked ahead. "Some ups and also some downs. I feel like the second half of the first half of the season felt I was strong, luck wasn’t always on my side."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Is McLaren’s edge slipping? Norris drops subtle warning

Reigning Formula 1 world champion Lando Norris has warned that McLaren’s 2026 challenger may not…

2 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 5 in pictures

Thursday’s action at the Bahrain International Circuit delivered plenty of eye-catching moments as pre-season preparations…

3 hours ago

Bahrain F1 test: Antonelli and Mercedes fastest on Day 5

Mercedes continued to set the pace on Thursday at the Bahrain International Circuit, with Kimi…

3 hours ago

Wolff hits back at F1 compression ratio controversy: ‘Utter bullshit’

Toto Wolff has dismissed Formula 1’s escalating compression ratio controversy as “a storm in a…

5 hours ago

Ferrari flips F1 aero on its head with radical SF-26 rear wing

Ferrari raised a few eyebrows in the F1 paddock in Bahrain on Thursday by unveiling…

6 hours ago

A promising F1 career sadly gone South

Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…

7 hours ago