X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

Formula 1 commercial boss Sean Bratches is confident there will be a German Grand Prix on the sport's calendar in 2019 based on positive ongoing talks with the event's promoter.

The German Grand Prix alternated between Hockenheim and the Nurburgring from 2008 to 2013 before establishing itself as a biennial race since following the Ring's financial inability to host F1.

Hockenheim looked set to follow the same path until this year's event which drew an impressive crowd of 71,000 on race day, comfortably surpassing the average attendance numbers from the past ten years.

Therefore, neither Formula 1 nor Hockenheim have written off a 2019 German Grand Prix.

"I’m an optimist," said Sean Bratches earlier this week in London.

"We haven’t released our schedule yet but we will shortly; around Spa. My German’s not great, it’s OK, but the talks have gone OK."

On the German side, Hockenheim's marketing director Jorn Teske was coy, but confirmed that talks with Liberty Media are ongoing.

"We very much hope that we will host the Grand Prix next year but I cannot say more. We are still discussing," he said.

"What is clear is that both parties are trying to find a solution and this is very good. It means there is really a serious interest of Formula 1 to keep the German Grand Prix.

"So yes, we are optimistic as well but that’s all for the moment."

While he was speaking at the Black Book motorsport forum in London on Tuesday, Bratches also confirmed that Formula 1 was still pressing on with its plans to bring the sport to Miami in 2020.

"I have every reason to feel optimistic about the prospects of racing in Miami in 2020," he said.

"We are working closely with Steve Ross and his team and the myriad constituencies in southern Florida to make this happen. We’ve made a lot of progress, there’s work to be done.

"Things are complicated but I still continue to suggest that the Formula One brand and Miami are very complimentary and the economic impact that we can bring into the city and county of Miami is extraordinary."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Norris: McLaren ‘unbeatable’is just rivals ‘talking crap’

Lando Norris, the current F1 championship leader, has hit out at suggestions that McLaren holds…

60 mins ago

A historic first, and last, for Andretti at Long Beach

Mario Andretti won the 1977 US Grand Prix West at Long Beach on this day…

2 hours ago

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

3 hours ago

Verstappen: Red Bull’s ‘main issue’ is the car, not the drivers

Max Verstappen has defended the efforts of his now former Red Bull teammate Liam Lawson,…

4 hours ago

Leclerc: Ferrari China DSQ a painful lesson in ‘playing with the limit'

Charles Leclerc believes that Ferrari’s double disqualification from the Chinese Grand Prix was a painful…

5 hours ago

Tsunoda: Marko radio silence since Red Bull switch ‘very unusual’

Yuki Tsunoda has revealed that he has yet to hear from Red Bull motorsport advisor…

6 hours ago