F1 News, Reports and Race Results

McLaren replaces Alonso's chassis but faces spare parts shortage

The consequences of Fernando Alonso's crash at Spa last weekend have extended to Monza, with McLaren forced to replace the Spaniard's written-off chassis.

The Woking-based outfit has built up a new car for the Italian Grand Prix based on a chassis used earlier this season, but the team was unsure on Thursday if the damaged MCL33's Renault power unit could be salvaged.

"We want to put it on tomorrow and confirm that everything is okay," said Alonso.

"There were some concerns on Sunday, then Monday and Tuesday they checked everything properly and it seems okay.

"So hopefully we can run still with that engine."

With Monza immediately following Spa, McLaren has found itself short of the latest-spec parts for this weekend's event as a consequence of the Spa wreck that also involved Renault's Nico Hulkenberg and Sauber's Charles Leclerc.

"We have enough luckily, but probably we've run out of spare parts, we have just what we have on the car. All the rest will probably be a different specification," explained Alonso.

"As I said, this is quite tough, because the damage on the cars was quite extreme, especially on my car. Then you have four days only to build a completely new car for Monza. It's the way it is."

Contrary to Stoffel Vandoorne, who took on new engine elements in Spa and a subsequent grid penalty, McLaren elected not to force a grid demotion on Alonso as it hoped the Spaniard could achieve a points finish in Belgium.

"Because of the penalty of Hulkenberg and Bottas and Sainz we opted not to change the engine in Spa, and benefit from the P14 starting position, and then on the first corner you're out of the race," said the two-time world champion.

"You will have to pay the penalty either in these race or later on, so it's a double zero – one in Spa because of another guy, and another one when you take the penalties. So quite a sad day."

Alonso also endured some personal pain as a result of the spectacular Spa collision, experiencing a very sore wrist and back.

"The only painful day was Tuesday," he added. "On Tuesday when I woke up I felt a little bit sore in the back.

"I’m still feeling some kind of heat (in the wrist), because I had the hands on the steering wheel when I touched Leclerc. But every day it’s less and less, and it should be OK for tomorrow."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Mercedes confirms Montreal upgrade: ‘We need to respond’

Toto Wolff has fired a clear warning to Formula 1’s chasing pack ahead of this…

1 hour ago

Schumacher facing challenging Indy 500 debut after qualifying

Mick Schumacher is officially locked into the field for his very first Indianapolis 500, though…

3 hours ago

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

4 hours ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

5 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

6 hours ago

Horner gives insight into post-Red Bull life at Monaco E-Prix

Less than a year after his dramatic exit from Red Bull following last summer’s British…

7 hours ago