F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Alonso laments double-pain weekend and reliability woes

Fernando Alonso believes McLaren's level of performance at Monza could have earned him some good points on Sunday if he had been spared another reliability issue.

The Spaniard's Italian Grand Prix came to a premature end after just nine laps after an electronic gremlin crept into his MCL33 while he was running 10th.

"We had a problem in an electrical part or something because the car was misfiring in Turn 7 and 8, so I had no power in those corners," explained Alonso.

"Suddenly the car switched off and I came into the pitlane."

The two-time world champion, who will leave F1 at the end the season, feels McLaren's reliability is going the wrong way.

"I think it's a shame because sometimes we were in the points, like we were in this Grand Prix, and the reliability of the team seems to have made a step backwards.

"We definitely need to improve that for the remainder of the season."

Alonso felt the wretched weekend - which followed his first lap retirement at Spa one week ago - was aggravated in hindsight by the team's decision not to replace his engine.

"We were planning to change the engine at Spa or here and get a penalty at a track we knew was going to be difficult for us in terms of performance, but surprisingly we were good, so we chose not to take it here.

"In the end, we didn’t score any points here so it’s double pain, as we’ll have to take the penalty later in the season."

The 37-year-old hopes he'll be spared an engine change at the next round in Singapore.

"I hope not because in Singapore if you start last, you finish last, so we'll have to stretch it as much as possible.

"It’s a true shame. Let’s see if we can make the car more robust for the coming races."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

14 minutes ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

1 hour ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

2 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

3 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

4 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

5 hours ago