F1 News, Reports and Race Results

IndyCar's Dixon has 'zero regrets' about not racing in F1

Scott Dixon - IndyCar's 2018 champion - once had a foot in Formula 1's door, but in hindsight the Kiwi has no regrets about closing it and remaining in the US.

Heralded as perhaps the greatest IndyCar driver of all time after winning his fifth title last week, the 38-year-old with 44 wins under his belt - a tally bettered only by A.J. Foyt and Mario Andretti - will never look back and wish he had chosen a different path in his motorsport life.

Dixon was hot property back in 2004, after his maiden IndyCar title, and was offered a test in F1 with the BMW Williams team.

"We had a good test with Williams but it was a bit of a funky time," said Dixon, speaking to Stuff NZ.

"I’d just won my first IndyCar championship and we were going for a full-time ride and contractually that didn’t look like what it was with the team. They had other drivers already lined up.

"So it was one of those things where do we do the test drive thing for a year and possibly get lost in that world forever or do we do something that I really enjoy and where we had just won the championship?"

Ultimately, Dixon declined the opportunity of a reserve role with Williams. He remained in the US and never looked back.

"There’s zero regrets. I definitely don’t regret our position and what we did," the Kiwi added.

Earlier this year, Haas boss Guenther Steiner ignited a controversial debate about claiming that there were currently no drivers in the US who could race competitively in Formula 1.

McLaren boss Zak Brown begged to differ however, and pinpointed Dixon as a talent worthy of F1.
"Scott Dixon is an outstanding talent," said Brown at the time.

"He reminds me of Fernando [Alonso], where he’s extremely fit, very dedicated, as fast as ever, and I think he would be competitive in a Formula 1 car."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Norris reveals ‘biggest factor’ fueling confidence for F1’s second half

Lando Norris has made it clear that his confidence heading into Formula 1’s second half…

1 hour ago

Bottas addresses Cadillac shake-up: ‘Something needed to change’

Cadillac’s dramatic decision to part ways with Graeme Lowdon may have caught the Formula 1…

2 hours ago

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

17 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

18 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

18 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

19 hours ago