F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Renault: Hulkenberg out to prove himself against Ricciardo

Renault F1 executive director Marcin Budkowski says that Nico Hulkenberg is treating Daniel Ricciardo's presence in the French team this year as an opportunity "to prove himself".

Hulkenberg has always been perceived as a solid and reliable performer in F1.

But after eight seasons and 156 Grands Prix, the German still carries the weight of an unenviable record: he is the driver with the most races without a podium finish.

The 31-year-old, who started his career with Williams in 2010, joined Renault in 2017, where he has had the upper hand over his successive team mates, Jolyon Palmer and Carlos Sainz.

However, with Ricciardo, Hulkenberg will be up against a multiple race winner, but Budkowski says the incumbent has no inhibitions about racing against Renault's new recruit.

"Carlos was a good push for him last year and we were very happy with the interaction of the two drivers," said the Renault F1 boss.

"For Nico, now having Daniel coming with his reputation as a very quick driver, as a very quick racer and overtaker, and proven himself as a race winner, he sees it as an opportunity to prove himself."

During a recent Q&A with fans, Hulkenberg joked that the news of the Aussie's arrival had left him "devastated". In reality, as a true competitor, he was anything but disappointed with his employer's choice.

"His reaction was not at all unhappy that someone of the calibre of Daniel was coming, he was very happy about it. He feels it’s a great opportunity for himself to show what he’s capable of," added Budkowski.

"We’re going to have an interesting interaction there between two drivers who have never been competing against each other in the same team, who are both highly rated.

"But I don’t expect that to be a problematic relationship at all. Quite the opposite."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Lawson focused on ‘enjoying’ Red Bull stint, but ‘it will be tough’

Liam Lawson has been thrust back into a Red Bull cockpit for this weekend’s Dutch…

14 minutes ago

Norris reveals ‘biggest factor’ fueling confidence for F1’s second half

Lando Norris has made it clear that his confidence heading into Formula 1’s second half…

2 hours ago

Bottas addresses Cadillac shake-up: ‘Something needed to change’

Cadillac’s dramatic decision to part ways with Graeme Lowdon may have caught the Formula 1…

3 hours ago

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

17 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

18 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

19 hours ago