It's a new departure of sorts for Max Verstappen, the young Dutchman becoming the de facto leader at Red Bull and with a new Honda power unit in the back of his RB15.
On the back of a productive pre-season testing period and significant progress from Honda, Red Bull's new engine supplier, the Milton Keynes-based outfit has offered a positive outlook for Melbourne.
Despite a lack of pure performance running in Barcelona, partly because of Pierre Gasly's crash in the second week of testing, Verstappen isn't feeling any particular tensions ahead of this weekend's season-opening race.
"I'm feeling good, I'm positive," he said on Thursday.
"I guess time will tell how competitive we're going to be, and even if it's not ideal here, it's a very long season ahead. I'm relaxed, we'll see."
Both Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko and team principal Christian Horner have vaunted the merits of Honda.
Verstappen confirmed the Japanese manufacturer's development, but the 21-year-old still errs on the side of caution.
"It's a step up from last year so that is very positive," he admitted. "If it's going to be enough yet, I don't know.
"I guess we'll find out in qualifying but there are a lot of things coming as well. We are pushing really hard from the chassis side but also now from the engine side,
"I think to have those two combinations working that hard and together as well, it's just really good."
Verstappen endured a difficult start to his 2018 campaign, with a series of mishaps generating a bout of criticism from his peers. However, according to Marko, the young charger has matured, and added patience to his skills.
"Throughout the years you learn a lot of course in Formula 1, to be honest it just makes me feel more and more relaxed about the whole think," said Verstappen.
"I just want to get racing first of all and then we'll see where we end up. As a personal feeling, I'm just feeling relaxed and ready to go."
Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…
Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…
Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…
George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…
Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…
Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…