F1 News, Reports and Race Results

For Vettel it's clear, he and Leclerc are 'free to race'

Sebastian Vettel says that there will be no specific team orders at the outset from the Scuderia, insisting he and team mate Charles Leclerc will be free to race each other.

Earlier this year, Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto said that Vettel would be given priority over Leclerc in the early part of the season, if certain situations warranted such a decision.

Addressing the order of things at the Scuderia ahead of this weekend's Australian Grand Prix, Vettel declined to detail what 'certain situations' could potentially involve, the German not expecting any preferential treatment this weekend.

"I don’t think there’s much point going into certain situations," Vettel said. "But I think it’s very clear and I think Mattia also made it very clear we are free to race each other.

"I think Charles will do his best to help himself, to help the team and that’s the same for me, I’ll do the best to help myself and to help the team.

"In the end we are racing for Ferrari and that means we will try to get Ferrari back to where we’ve been trying to get it back to the last couple of years.

"That’s the main priority and the rest, it’s a long long season and I think it’s a bit pointless at this point to start pointing out certain scenarios."

On the same subject, Leclerc said that if circumstances dictate that he must yield to a team order, he would fully comply.

"Obviously I completely understand the decision," said the Monegasque.

"As in any team there has to be a number one and a number two in a 50-50 situation.

"But then also from my side it’s my job then to turn things around. It’s not going to be easy, I have a lot to learn. But I will try that."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

3 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

4 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

5 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

6 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

7 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

8 hours ago