F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Bottas explains impromptu 'F*** you' radio comment

X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

Valtteri Bottas says the offhand radio remark he yapped over the Mercedes team radio after crossing the finish line in Melbourne was not planned.

The Finn had a very precise choice of words when he responded to the congratulatory message from his race engineer, Riccardo Musconi, who suggested his dominant victory on Sunday was payback for his winless 2018 season.

"To whom it may concern: Fuck you!" said the calm and composed Bottas.

The message, while spontaneous, was clearly destined to those who doubted his ability to get the job done.

"I just wanted to send my best regards," explained Bottas. "That’s it, honestly, I didn’t think about it or have it planned. It just came.

"Obviously there’s many people that support you. Honestly I appreciate it a lot with the people around me, supporting me.

"In sport there’s always ups and downs so you can really see the true support quite easily.

"And then through the difficult times there’s the other part which is a lot more negative and that’s their weakness, so it’s fine.

"I just thought to whom it may concern maybe they should look in the mirror sometimes and think actually why they do that."

Bottas spent the winter break resetting himself and rebuilding his energy - mental and physical - for a 2019 season which could make or break the 29-year-old Mercedes driver.

The outcome of Sunday's race will have hopefully put Bottas make on track.

"It’s really special obviously. It’s only my fourth win anyway in Formula 1 and after a win-less 2018 even better. So I’m very, very pleased," he said.

"But it doensn’t happen [just] like that. There’s obviously a lot of work to be able to win and be able to be in that kind of pace.

"Obviously for winning you need a good car and as a team we’ve been able to do it even after quite difficult winter testing. Here we’re quicker than expected, it made it possible.

"From my side I have to say it was the best race I have done so far in my career."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Japanese GP: Thursday's build-up in pictures

The Japanese Grand Prix roars into action this weekend at one of its most iconic…

1 hour ago

Norris: McLaren ‘unbeatable’is just rivals ‘talking crap’

Lando Norris, the current F1 championship leader, has hit out at suggestions that McLaren holds…

2 hours ago

A historic first, and last, for Andretti at Long Beach

Mario Andretti won the 1977 US Grand Prix West at Long Beach on this day…

3 hours ago

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

4 hours ago

Verstappen: Red Bull’s ‘main issue’ is the car, not the drivers

Max Verstappen has defended the efforts of his now former Red Bull teammate Liam Lawson,…

5 hours ago

Leclerc: Ferrari China DSQ a painful lesson in ‘playing with the limit'

Charles Leclerc believes that Ferrari’s double disqualification from the Chinese Grand Prix was a painful…

6 hours ago