F1 News, Reports and Race Results

FIA cancels 2021 standard gearbox plans for F1

The FIA has canceled the tender associated with the introduction of standard gearbox cassettes for F1 from 2021 following a decision from the World Motor Sport Council.

In an bid to reduce costs in the future, the sport's governing body had invited earlier this year potential gearbox suppliers to tender for standard design set to be introduced in 2021.

Four companies effectively submitted bids for the component but the FIA's technical department has now issued a recommendation against F1 using a single supplier, a proposal that has been voted through by the WMSC.

"The Council's decision was based on consideration of both technical and financial information made available by teams and suppliers," the FIA's statement read.

"The technical data provided revealed that gearbox technology in Formula 1 has largely converged and that, as a result, there is little performance differentiation at present.

"It was also noted that, due to the complexity of the components, gearboxes remain a sensitive matter in terms of reliability, and this was factored into the evaluations of the FIA Technical Department."

Regarding future cost cutting measures, the WMSC has concluded that "similar financial savings could be made by means other than the specification of a single supplier".

The FIA says these identified "means" will be part of the 2021 regulations set to be unveiled by the end of June.

Additional tenders initiated by the FIA for standard wheel rims, brake system components and fuel system elements are currently ongoing. It is not known if they may also be under review by the FIA, but the word in the paddock is that some or maybe all will be scrapped!

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

9 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

10 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

11 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

11 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

13 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

14 hours ago