F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Tost: Gasly needs time - talent not a question

X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost says he's surprised by Pierre Gasly's struggles at Red Bull but insists the Frenchman's talent should not be questioned.

Gasly was promoted to Red Bull Racing this season on the basis of his strong maiden year in F1 with Toro Rosso.

The Milton Keynes-based outfit wasn't expecting fireworks at the outset from its new recruit, especially with Max Verstappen sitting on the other side of the garage, Gasly has nevertheless disappointed.

The 23-year-old has been outpaced by his teammate in qualifying in every race bar one so far this season and trails Verstappen in the drivers' standings by 63 points.

While Tost is surprised by Gasly's under-performance, the Austrian believes his former driver's potential is there to unlock.

"I'm a bit surprised, simply because Pierre is much better and therefore much faster than he's currently showing. However, I don't know the exact circumstances," Tost told Motorsport-Total.

Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner labeled Gasly's performance in last weekend's French Grand Prix as "frustrating".

©RedBull

However, the Frenchman alluded to a possible technical issue impacting his RB15, a car whose characteristics may not suit its driver according to Tost.

"The car is unpredictable for him, light on the rear end, and that's something he does not like, he likes a solid rear axle," the Toro Rosso boss said back in Baku.

"There's no question about his talent, he can do it all, but he just needs his time.

"You have to give him the time to adapt to it all, he has the misfortune of being next to Max Verstappen who is now established in the team.

"But Max was also with us once and also had to undergo a learning process."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Japanese GP: Thursday's build-up in pictures

The Japanese Grand Prix roars into action this weekend at one of its most iconic…

45 mins ago

Norris: McLaren ‘unbeatable’is just rivals ‘talking crap’

Lando Norris, the current F1 championship leader, has hit out at suggestions that McLaren holds…

1 hour ago

A historic first, and last, for Andretti at Long Beach

Mario Andretti won the 1977 US Grand Prix West at Long Beach on this day…

3 hours ago

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

4 hours ago

Verstappen: Red Bull’s ‘main issue’ is the car, not the drivers

Max Verstappen has defended the efforts of his now former Red Bull teammate Liam Lawson,…

4 hours ago

Leclerc: Ferrari China DSQ a painful lesson in ‘playing with the limit'

Charles Leclerc believes that Ferrari’s double disqualification from the Chinese Grand Prix was a painful…

6 hours ago