F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Latifi gets third FP1 outing with Williams at Spa

Williams reserve driver Nicholas Latifi will enjoy at Spa his third free practice of the season with the Grove-based outfit.

The Canadian - who currently stands second in the FIA Formula 2 Championship with DAMS and who previously drove for Williams in Montreal and at Paul Ricard - will attempt once again to make the most of the Friday morning session as he builds his case for a race seat with Williams in 2020.

"Nicholas joins us on Friday for his third FP1 session of the season and it will be interesting to get his impression of how the car has changed since his last outing in France, having seen some improvements in our performance in Budapest," said Williams race engineer Dave Robson.

"The Friday programme will involve understanding how best to adapt the car to suit Spa and understanding how to get the most from the Pirelli tyres in qualifying."

Latifi is looking forward to his busy Spa weekend and experiencing the thrills of driving Williams' FW42 aroundt the challenging Ardennes track.

"After the summer break I always have an extra urge to drive as it feels like a long time being out of the seat," said the 24-year-old charger.

"To have the opportunity to experience current Formula 1 cars at a track like Spa will be something special.

"I haven’t driven the FW42 since FP1 at the French Grand Prix and there has been a lot of development since then.

"It will be a good test for myself and for the team to get another opinion on the direction that the car is going in.

"As always, my goal remains the same, to maximise the mileage and to give the best possible feedback to help the team going into FP2."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

20 minutes ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

1 hour ago

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

2 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

3 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

5 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

6 hours ago