F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Coronavirus: F1 'open' to plans to reschedule Chinese GP

Formula 1 managing director of motorsport Ross Brawn believes that the 2020 Chinese Grand Prix could still go ahead, albeit probably at a later date in the year.

The race is currently scheduled to take place on April 19, but the venue in Shanghai is only about 800km from where the coronavirus outbreak was first detected in the city of Wuhan.

A decision earlier this week by the Shanghai Sports Federation to recommend that the city suspends "all sports events until the epidemic is over" appeared to mean that the F1 race was now all-but certain to be cancelled.

International athletics, football, skiing, tennis and basketball competitions in China and Hong Kong have already been cancelled, postponed or rescheduled as a result of the growing global epidemic that has now infected 28,018 people and claimed the lives of 563.

The ABB FIA Formula E ePrix in China has already been cancelled, and Chinese driver Ma Qing Hua and engineers from the NIO 333 team have opted to undergo a voluntary precautionary period of quarantine by flying to Mexico early for the next race on the calendar.

"It is a tragic and very difficult situation," Brawn told selected media representatives including Motorsport.com. "It looks very difficult."

However he added that that there was still a hope that the F1 Grand Prix could eventually take place once the health emergency had abated.

"I think that if there is a probability it doesn't happen in April then it will be postponed," Brawn said. "We will leave open the opportunity to see if the race can run later in the year.

"China is an enthusiastic and growing market, so we'd still very much like to have a race in China.

"We will just try to find a window of when the race could happen towards the end of the year." he added, while ruling out the possibility of a straightforward swap of dates with another race on the calendar.

However there are no obvious openings in the schedule that would avoid the unpopular option of running back-to-back-to-back race weekends.

And extending the season into December is also likely to be resisted by teams who will have their hands full preparing for major rules and regulations changes being introduced for 2021.

But despite the current bleak news, Brawn stopped short of formally confirming that April's race would not go ahead in its current form.

"We're waiting for the Chinese promoter and authorities to make the final decision - which I think they will," he said.

"They've cancelled all the public events in March, meaning no public sporting events or activities.

"I think it'll become clear in the next week or two what's going to happen," he continued, adding that shipping dates would be a major factor.

"There's two logistical deadlines," he explained. "One is when all the sea freight goes, which is this week or next week.

"But that's not disastrous if that shifts and has to be brought back," he added.

"Then we get into the physically putting people over there. That's a big challenge with people going there to prepare for the race. That's a critical stage.

"That will happen in two or three weeks time. I think that's the point at which really you have to say what the situation is."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

A legend who is still in everyone's heart

The great Niki Lauda would have celebrated his 77th birthday on this day, so it's…

58 seconds ago

Hot mess: Tsunoda’s San Francisco demo goes up in smoke

Talk about a "burning" desire to get back on the grid. Yuki Tsunoda’s first appearance…

46 mins ago

Newey reportedly laid bare Honda engine crisis in F1 meeting

Adrian Newey’s vision for an Aston Martin dynasty is facing a brutal reality check as…

2 hours ago

Team Talk: F1's final week of pre-season testing in Bahrain

Aston Martin – 128 laps Mike Krack, Chief Trackside Officer “We have concluded our test…

3 hours ago

Hamilton re-set and refreshed: ‘For a moment, I forgot who I was’

Lewis Hamilton has drawn a bold line under last season’s frustrations, declaring himself “re-set and…

4 hours ago

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

20 hours ago