F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Ferrari puts Vettel and Leclerc 'on the same level' for 2020

Ferrari will place Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc on equal footing at the outset of the 2020 season, a change from last years' rules of engagement.

At the start of 2019, the Scuderia had given preference to Vettel versus his teammate in the event of a 50/50 situation as decided by team boss Mattia Binotto.

But as a two-time Grand Prix winner who earned his striped last year and finished ahead of Vettel in the world championship, Leclerc's position has compelled Ferrari to alter its driver policy for the upcoming campaign.

"It’s developed," said Binotto at Tuesday's launch in Italy of Ferrari's SF1000. "Charles has got a year’s experience with us.

"They will be on the same level, they can both fight to be ahead. So, let them race."

Giving a free rein to its drivers led to a massive flash point last year in Brazil between Vettel and Leclerc, with the duo eliminating itself on the track after a contact.

But the Monegasque contends that lessons were learned by both men as a result of the costly clash, and each driver will give a little bit more latitude to the other when battling wheel-to-wheel this year.

"We are free to race but we are also team mates," Leclerc said. "A lot of people [work] on the car, we are a team, and things in Brazil shouldn’t happen.

"I’ve learned from it. The margins will probably be a bit bigger."

As far as Vettel is concerned, Ferrari's neutral policy will be no different than what he experienced in 2019.

"[It was] not like I had a different car [in 2019]," he said. "We both have the same car, and the same chance to race well. I never doubted that, I don’t think Charles did either.

"It doesn’t change anything. Starting on equal terms, we were last year, we are this year as well."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Norris hoping to plug in to Formula E with future track test

Fresh from witnessing the action at last weekend’s Monaco E-Prix, Lando Norris openly admitted that…

1 hour ago

Honda's target in Montreal: Help drivers ‘build more confidence’

Honda heads into this week’s Canadian Grand Prix carrying both cautious optimism and clear intent,…

2 hours ago

Panis pulls off a stunner in the Principality

If you're going to win just a single Grand Prix in your F1 career, Monaco…

4 hours ago

Indy 500 front-row starter Rossi injured in massive practice crash

Alexander Rossi’s preparations for next weekend’s Indy 500 were thrown into chaos on Monday after…

5 hours ago

Ford elaborates on F1’s potential V8 future: ‘We love the idea’

Formula 1’s next great engine debate is no longer happening in whispers behind factory doors.…

6 hours ago

Why F1 bosses are rejecting Hamilton’s ‘seat at the table’ appeal

Lewis Hamilton has urged the FIA and Formula 1 to give drivers a formal “seat…

7 hours ago