F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Zandvoort takes another hit as Holland bans events until September

The Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort has suffered another setback following the Netherlands' decision to ban all public events until September 1st.

Formula 1's return to the country's historic venue was initially scheduled for May 3, but the event was postponed following the onslaught of the global coronavirus pandemic.

The Dutch organizers had hoped to see their race receive a slot in August following F1's decision to bring forward the sport's summer break traditionally programmed during that month.

Dutch Grand Prix boss Jan Lammers says the extension of the ban on public events by the government does not fundamentally change Zandvoort's issue, but the former Grand Prix driver admitted it was back to square one for the race's organization.

"It's a pity, of course," said Lammers, quoted by website Formule 1. "Not much changes as nothing had been planned yet, but it's another step back. We are not the only GP organization in this situation."

Asked whether Zandvoort could be penciled in for September, Lammers refrained from making any projections.

"I don't think it makes sense to go through the scenario as it can all be thrown in the trash tomorrow," he said.

"Each answer only raises more questions. It's just a rotten situation for everyone.

"In the Netherlands we really had the feeling that this would be the year, everything seemed ready for it. Anyway, what's going on in the world is much worse, of course.

"We are now talking about scenarios while someone else in the Netherlands has to decide at the kitchen table who will and who will not receive a death notice. It cannot be compared."

©RedBull

Lammers recently said that racing behind closed doors is not an option for Zandvoort. He's therefore surprised by the fans' positive reaction to such a prospect.

"I did not expect that," he admitted. "It seems that if fans had the choice between watching races on television without any spectators or having no races at all, they would choose the former.

"Thatt does not affect us otherwise, but it surprises me. I did not expect that."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

51 minutes ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

2 hours ago

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

3 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

4 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

5 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

6 hours ago