F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Szafnauer sees F1 return in Austria in July as 'plausible'

X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

Racing Point team boss Otmar Szafnauer believes there's a "plausible" chance of Formula 1 returning to action in early July in Austria.

Following the announcement yesterday by Paul Ricard to scrap the French Grand Prix, the Red Bull Ring in Austria is now next in line to raise the curtain on F1's disrupted 2020 season.

Formula 1 boss Chase Carey expressed on Monday his confidence that the Spielberg event will indeed allow F1 to get itself in gear, a view also shared by Szafnauer.

"If Austria do a very good job as a country to contain the spread of the virus into July, and there's testing available for all of the Formula 1 employees or participants to actually test, I think it's plausible to put on a race in early July," the Racing Point boss told CNN.

"If by sometime in June, we say yes, it's on, it's happening, we're safe to go. I think all the teams will be able to make it, no problem."

Earlier this month, Austria became the first European country to start easing coronavirus restrictions, but all public sporting events will remain banned until the end of June.

However, the country's government and local authorities in Styria aren't dismissing the possibility of F1 setting up shop at the Red Bull Ring for a race, or perhaps even two, behind closed doors.

"Of course I support the idea of Formula 1 coming to Styria and to the Red Bull Ring even this year," said Styria's governor, Hermann Schützenhöfer.

"We must not lose our positive attitude during the crisis.

"It would be wonderful to send images from an exciting grand prix, as well as the beautiful images from the Murtal region around the world, at least via TV."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Horner on Lawson demotion: ‘You’ve got to be cruel to be kind’

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner stabdsd by his team’s decision to demote Liam Lawson…

4 hours ago

Haas rolling the dice with risky VF-25 floor update in Suzuka

Haas heads into the Japanese Grand Prix weekend with a risky move after fast-tracking a…

5 hours ago

Japanese GP: Thursday's build-up in pictures

The Japanese Grand Prix roars into action this weekend at one of its most iconic…

7 hours ago

Norris: McLaren ‘unbeatable’is just rivals ‘talking crap’

Lando Norris, the current F1 championship leader, has hit out at suggestions that McLaren holds…

8 hours ago

A historic first, and last, for Andretti at Long Beach

Mario Andretti won the 1977 US Grand Prix West at Long Beach on this day…

9 hours ago

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

10 hours ago