F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Heidfeld: Schumacher could replace Giovinazzi mid-season

Ex-F1 driver Nick Heidfeld says a string of disappointing performances from Alfa Romeo's Antonio Giovinazzi could incite the Swiss outfit replace the Italian with Mick Schumacher.

The 21-year-old Schumacher is set to undertake his second season of Formula 2 with Prema this year, but the 21-year-old son of F1 legend Michael Schumacher is rumored to be in the running for an Alfa seat for 2021.

However, Heidfeld sees a mid-season swap between Giovinazzi and Schumacher as a real possibility if the Italian's results fall short of team boss Frédéric Vasseur's expectations.

"I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw Mick in the car this season," Heidfeld told Sky Germany.

"If he does a great job in Formula 2 and Giovinazzi has even more problems than he suffered last year, I wouldn’t be surprised if they sat Mick in the seat mid-season."

©AlfaRomeo

But even if Alfa Romeo stays the course with Giovinazzi this year, Heidfeld feels 2021 could be the year when the Schumacher name returns to the grid.

"Kimi Räikkönen will soon end his career and Antonio Giovinazzi is not that strong," he added. "So I think a young driver like Mick may have a chance.

"The good thing about the Schumacher family is that they know exactly what to do to prevent him from reaching Formula 1 too soon," concluded the German.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

14 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

15 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

15 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

16 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

18 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

19 hours ago