F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Dutch GP at Zandvoort officially cancelled for 2020!

The return of the Dutch Grand Prix to F1's calendar has been pushed back to 2021 following Zandvoort's decision to scrap this year's event.

The Dutch Grand Prix's fate had been up in the air since the start of the coronavirus crisis and the Netherland's decision to ban all public events until September 1.

Furthermore, the event's promoters were also reluctant to hold the race behind closed doors.

A statement from the organisers said: "Due to the worldwide spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) the Formula 1 Heineken Dutch Grand Prix has, as previously announced, been postponed.

"The organization of the Dutch Grand Prix, in consultation with Formula One Management, has had to conclude that it is no longer possible to hold a race with an audience this year.

"Therefore, it has been decided to postpone the race definitively to 2021. Together with the FIA, Formula One Management will determine the schedule for 2021, and with that the new date of the Dutch Grand Prix.

"Like every year the date will be announced by the FIA by the end of 2020. All tickets remain valid for the new race."

Dutch Grand Prix sporting boss Jan Lammers lamented the event's cancellation, but urged Dutch F1 fans to be patient.

"We were completely ready for this first race and we still are," said the former F1 driver.

"An unbelievable achievement has been made thanks to all the fans, the companies and the governments involved.

"We and Formula 1 have investigated the potential to hold a rescheduled race this year without spectators, but we would like to celebrate this moment, the return of Formula 1 in Zandvoort, together with our racing fans in the Netherlands.

"We ask everyone to be patient. I had to look forward to it for 35 years, so I can wait another year."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Norris reveals ‘biggest factor’ fueling confidence for F1’s second half

Lando Norris has made it clear that his confidence heading into Formula 1’s second half…

39 minutes ago

Bottas addresses Cadillac shake-up: ‘Something needed to change’

Cadillac’s dramatic decision to part ways with Graeme Lowdon may have caught the Formula 1…

2 hours ago

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

16 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

17 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

18 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

18 hours ago