F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Williams not planning further senior staff signings

The Williams F1 team isn't planning on hiring any new senior management and technical staff in the immediate future according to deputy team principal Claire Williams.

The most recent addition to the behind-the-scenes line-up was the appointment of former McLaren chief operating officer Simon Roberts as the new managing director at Grove.

Roberts has been brought in to help Williams enact its recovery plan, after a dismal 2019 season left them firmly at the back of the F1 grid.

But Williams says that Roberts' hiring completes the new senior team structure that will be in place for the current campaign.

"Simon is a fantastic addition to the team and we're really excited," she said. "He's obviously got a fantastic background.

"His role will coordinate between technical and operations. That's the role that we're excited by, and we think Simon's going to do a really great job in."

Before Roberts was signed up by Williams, the team also had been busy bolstering the rest of its technical department.

"We have also strengthened our technical team, following a period of restructuring last year that we undertook," Motorsport.com reports Williams as saying this week.

"David Warner has come in as our chief designer and Jonathan Carter has come in from Renault as our deputy chief designer and head of design.

"for us at the moment, the structure is as we have always wanted it to be. We're very happy with it and we're going to let it play its course and play out.

"We think it will do a good job," she added. "There will are no plans right here, right now to be bringing any further people into our engineering side of the business."

After taking a heavy financial hit in its most recent annual report, the team is looking at ways of securing new investment in order to carry on. It hasn't ruled out selling part or all of the team to a new investor.

More money could help the team add more resources to its technical and engineering departments in the future, but Williams insisted that any extra funds would likely be spent on improving infrastructure.

"I don't necessarily believe that we need to invest in personnel at a senior level," she said. "Whether we need more people in the ranks below, that will be a question that we will look at.

"But we have plans. I don't want to go into detail on them, but that's what the investment will be used for.

"With F1 teams you give them money to spend and they'll spend it straightaway," Williams acknowledged. "You give it to engineers and they spend it even faster, and they want even more!"

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Verstappen struggling with both health and car for Zandvoort finale

Max Verstappen admitted after qualifying at Zandvoort that he has been feeling under the weather…

1 hour ago

Dutch GP: Saturday's action in pictures

Lando Norris delivered a strong performance in Saturday’s qualifying at Zandvoort, the McLaren heading the…

14 hours ago

Leclerc insists Ferrari ‘have got to work’ on SF-26’s qualifying pace

Charles Leclerc has no complaints about Ferrari’s race-day strength. The problem is getting the SF-25…

15 hours ago

Antonelli reckons Turn 1 mistake cost him shot at Dutch GP pole

Kimi Antonelli was left wondering what might have been after a costly Turn 1 mistake…

15 hours ago

Norris credits ‘big balls’ for fearless Dutch GP pole lap

Lando Norris produced the sort of qualifying lap that leaves little room for modesty –…

16 hours ago

Wolff admits Mercedes-Verstappen hook up now a long shot

With Mercedes locking down George Russell and Kimi Antonelli through 2027, and Red Bull securing…

17 hours ago