F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Renault heads to Austria with big upgrade package in its bags

Renault F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul says the team will field a heavily revised R.S.20 at next week's season opener in Austria where it will implement a trio of upgrades initially scheduled for earlier races.

Renault was due to gradually update its R.S.20 in the opening first six races of the 2020 season, starting in Vietnam, with additional changes programmed for Zandvoort and Spain.

However, the cancellation of the opening ten events of the campaign forced a change of strategy at Enstone where engineers continued to work on scheduled developments.

The initial succession of upgrades have therefore been rolled into one massive update that will be put into effect next week at the Red Bull Ring.

"The upgrades are coming," Renault F1 team principal Cyril Abiteboul told reporters on Friday.

"It's been a huge effort from internal production to get the package from races three, five and six - the initial numbering obviously - from Vietnam, the Netherlands and Barcelona that will be on our car in Austria.

"Those races have obviously not happened, but the performance that was supposed to come will be in Spielberg."

Abiteboul is taking a conservative approach to next week's opening race, but underscored Renault's efforts during the hiatus to field an updated car while also building the team's crucial inventory of spare parts that will be required in the coming weeks.

"I want to downplay any expectations, because we know that our car was really, really bad last year. We just hope that it will be slightly better," Abiteboul admitted.

"We're still not totally sure about the competitiveness of our car from the winter test. I don't want to say too much at this point.

"There is clearly a huge satisfaction from the effort that has been put into getting all these parts available in quantity also, because we all know that Spielberg can be harsh for the cars, even if there has been some kerbs being removed.

"We all had to plan in quantities also, some parts which I hope will bring some decent performance to the car."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Norris hoping to plug in to Formula E with future track test

Fresh from witnessing the action at last weekend’s Monaco E-Prix, Lando Norris openly admitted that…

30 minutes ago

Honda's target in Montreal: Help drivers ‘build more confidence’

Honda heads into this week’s Canadian Grand Prix carrying both cautious optimism and clear intent,…

2 hours ago

Panis pulls off a stunner in the Principality

If you're going to win just a single Grand Prix in your F1 career, Monaco…

3 hours ago

Indy 500 front-row starter Rossi injured in massive practice crash

Alexander Rossi’s preparations for next weekend’s Indy 500 were thrown into chaos on Monday after…

4 hours ago

Ford elaborates on F1’s potential V8 future: ‘We love the idea’

Formula 1’s next great engine debate is no longer happening in whispers behind factory doors.…

5 hours ago

Why F1 bosses are rejecting Hamilton’s ‘seat at the table’ appeal

Lewis Hamilton has urged the FIA and Formula 1 to give drivers a formal “seat…

7 hours ago