F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Vettel rejects Binotto claim that pandemic led to 2021 driver changes

Sebastian Vettel rejected Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto's claim that the COVID-19 pandemic forced the Italian outfit to rethink its driver plans for 2021.

After repeatedly saying last winter that Vettel was the Scuderia's first choice to race alongside Charles Leclerc next season, Ferrari unexpectedly announced that the German's contract would not be renewed at the end of the current season.

Binotto later justified the decision to part ways with Vettel by a change of circumstances, induced by the coronavirus pandemic and its impact on the team's plans for next season, including F1's regulation freeze.

Speaking to Servus TV on Monday evening at the Red Bull Ring, Vettel neither the pandemic or financial considerations were "decisive" factors in Ferrari's choice to oust hi from the team.

"The conditions with coronavirus are not so decisive there," said the four-time world champion.

"There were also partial reports that we could not agree on the financial. That was not an issue at all and wouldn’t have been."

Up to Ferrari's announcement mid-May, Vettel had been under the impression that he was very much part of the team's plans for 2021, although he had not been offered a contract at that point.

"I still thought it would have been an option to continue with Ferrari, it was communicated like that," he added.

"I was told they wanted to continue together. Then out of nowhere, I got a phone call, in which I was told that there won’t be any offer and no future together.

"I’ll accept the decision and have no problem with it. Despite that I will continue to fulfil my task and unlike last weekend, do a better job for the team and have a satisfactory closure."

©Ferrari

Vettel admitted that he remained undecided on his future, with few options at his disposal and a door that looks closed at Mercedes.

Vettel could opt for a year on the sidelines, but conversely, the 33-year-old says that any decision to retire should be one that is set in stone.

"If you decide to close the door, you should not do it if you hope to open it again, unless it‘s clear from the beginning," he said.

"I think you need to be willing to keep the door closed, meaning that if it doesn't open again, you should not regret the decision."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

22 minutes ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

1 hour ago

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

2 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

3 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

5 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

6 hours ago