F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Perez approached by rival team amid Vettel rumors

Sergio Perez says he was approached by another F1 team after rumors of his possible replacement by Sebastian Vettel at Racing Point broke out earlier this week.

Reports emerged earlier this week that Racing Point, which will become Aston Martin Racing in 2021, had sparked Vettel's interest and that talks were taking place between the Silverstone-based outfit and the German driver.

However, both Perez and teammate Lance Stroll - the son of Racing Point owner Lawrence Stroll - are under contract for next season, theoretically blocking Vettel's arrival.

But Perez's contract reportedly includes an exit clause that Racing Point could activate to allow Vettel to join the team.

However, the situation is further complicated by the significant sponsorship associated with the Mexican's deal and which the team would lose if Perez departed the outfit.

In Thursday's FIA press conference in Hungary, Perez repeatedly said that he had a contract for next year, but the 30-year-old also reminded everyone that anything is possible in F1.

"In Formula 1, you never know until you're going to start the race if you're going to be racing," Perez commented.

"This is how things are. I know I've got a contract.

"During the week, obviously the rumours came out, and we actually got contacted by a team in the paddock - I won't say names obviously - and also by other teams in categories, which was quite a surprise, because we have a contract for next year here.

"At the moment, there are just rumours around. Nothing more to add from my side other than we've got a contract in place."

Possible options for Perez should he be forced out of Racing Point include fellow mid-field squads Alfa Romeo Racing and Haas.

But Perez said the mention of Vettel's name in connection with the team for 2021 was a validation of Racing Point's improvement and growing momentum.

"The team has taken a good step forward, so it's good to have a big name linked to the team, because that means we are doing a good job and we are making progress," Perez said.

"I think the team should be proud of it.

"And the rest? I've been in Formula 1 for 10 years, so I'm used to this stuff."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Mercedes confirms Montreal upgrade: ‘We need to respond’

Toto Wolff has fired a clear warning to Formula 1’s chasing pack ahead of this…

54 minutes ago

Schumacher facing challenging Indy 500 debut after qualifying

Mick Schumacher is officially locked into the field for his very first Indianapolis 500, though…

2 hours ago

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

4 hours ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

5 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

5 hours ago

Horner gives insight into post-Red Bull life at Monaco E-Prix

Less than a year after his dramatic exit from Red Bull following last summer’s British…

7 hours ago