F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Ricciardo tells rivals not to expect an 'old' Alonso in 2021

X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

Daniel Ricciardo says his colleagues would be wrong to expect "an old man" to return to F1 next season when Fernando Alonso resumes his Grand Prix career with Renault.

The 39-year-old Alonso will replace McLaren-bound Ricciardo at Enstone after a two-year hiatus from Formula 1. But the Aussie insists the last couple of years will have not eroded the Spaniard's speed.

"I wasn’t really sure what he would do," Ricciardo told Spanish daily AS. "I know he’s been very busy in a lot of different categories since leaving Formula 1.

"I wasn’t sure if he still wanted to get back into Formula 1, but it seems he does.

"In his last year here he left with a perfect qualifying record (21-0), he was still driving amazingly and Stoffel Vandoorne is not just anybody.

"He has the talent to push the car to its maximum, he knows that. No one should expect an old man, I'm expecting a very fast Fernando Alonso."

Ricciardo believes Alonso's blend of talent and experience will complement teammate Esteban Ocon's youth and driver Renault's progress forward.

"Next year, and in the years to come, I think they will continue to improve and progress," Ricciardo commented.

"Esteban has experience and confidence, but also someone very, very, very experienced is arriving in Fernando.

"I am looking forward to racing against him again and I think Renault will progress strongly in the years to come."

Renault has struggled in the midfield in the past two seasons while McLaren - Ricciardo's future team - has made significant progress, leading F1's second division last year.

But the current Renault driver is expecting some tough battles against the French outfit and Alonso in the future, and especially in 2022 when F1's new regulations kick in.

"2022 is a very interesting goal for the team with the rule change," he explained.

"We will see who takes the biggest step then, but we will have good battles against Renault in the next few years.

"They have always been very professional with me, even after announcing that I would be leaving."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Horner on Lawson demotion: ‘You’ve got to be cruel to be kind’

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner stabdsd by his team’s decision to demote Liam Lawson…

5 hours ago

Haas rolling the dice with risky VF-25 floor update in Suzuka

Haas heads into the Japanese Grand Prix weekend with a risky move after fast-tracking a…

6 hours ago

Japanese GP: Thursday's build-up in pictures

The Japanese Grand Prix roars into action this weekend at one of its most iconic…

7 hours ago

Norris: McLaren ‘unbeatable’is just rivals ‘talking crap’

Lando Norris, the current F1 championship leader, has hit out at suggestions that McLaren holds…

8 hours ago

A historic first, and last, for Andretti at Long Beach

Mario Andretti won the 1977 US Grand Prix West at Long Beach on this day…

9 hours ago

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

10 hours ago