F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Perez stands pat: "No reason to change" Racing Point lineup

X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

Sergio Perez reiterated his belief that he will be racing with Racing Point next season, dismissing once again his replacement by Sebastian Vettel for 2021.

Rumors keep swirling around the F1 paddock about an imminent deal between Vettel and the Silverstone-based outfit, with the four-time world champion racing alongside Lance Stroll at the renamed Aston Martin Racing team from 2021.

Queried once again on the subject at Spa on Thursday, Perez stood pat, insisting his team and himself are set to continue working together.

"I think it is, as I've said before, a matter of time," Perez said.

"I feel really happy in the team. I believe in the project, I've been here for a while, and I can see how the team is going upwards. We all feel internally that everything is working well.

"We don't see the reason why we should change anything. I don't see any reason to change.

"I think we are enjoying a great season on track, and things are working really well in the team. I don't expect any change."

Earlier this summer, Perez admitted to having been contacted by another team about his prospects for 2021. But the 30-year-old says he has not followed up on those talks as is currently not negotiating with any other parties.

"The feedback that I get from within the team is that we all want to continue," he repeated. "So I stay with that, and that's where my confidence comes from, and where we stay calm.

"It's a situation that is out of my hands, so I don't even bother at all. I focus on racing, enjoy it, and whatever happens, it's out of my hands, so I don't even give attention to it."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Horner on Lawson demotion: ‘You’ve got to be cruel to be kind’

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner stabdsd by his team’s decision to demote Liam Lawson…

4 hours ago

Haas rolling the dice with risky VF-25 floor update in Suzuka

Haas heads into the Japanese Grand Prix weekend with a risky move after fast-tracking a…

5 hours ago

Japanese GP: Thursday's build-up in pictures

The Japanese Grand Prix roars into action this weekend at one of its most iconic…

7 hours ago

Norris: McLaren ‘unbeatable’is just rivals ‘talking crap’

Lando Norris, the current F1 championship leader, has hit out at suggestions that McLaren holds…

7 hours ago

A historic first, and last, for Andretti at Long Beach

Mario Andretti won the 1977 US Grand Prix West at Long Beach on this day…

9 hours ago

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

9 hours ago