F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Gasly rues early exit from qualifying caused by battery drain

Pierre Gasly says his unexpected early exit from qualifying at Mugello was mainly due to a lack of energy deployment caused by pushing his AlphaTauri's engine too hard.

Last weekend's Italian Grand Prix winner was confident of securing a spot in Q3 in the Saturday afternoon session based on his car's performance in free practice.

But the tightly bunched midfield in Q1 meant that any glitch would prove costly, and Gasly suffered the consequences of poor energy management coupled with set-up issues for his AT01.

"Today was frustrating as everything was going so well all weekend," lamented Gasly.

"The car was good in free practice, and in quali we pushed the engine a bit more and in my two laps before the finish line. We missed it for half a tenth and we lost over a tenth with the deployment, running out of SOC (State of Charge) way too early before the line.

"We also made a few [setup] changes after P3 which didn't go in the right direction, and we are still analyzing why we basically went slower than P3. There is less fuel in the car so we lost grip and we can see it, so we are still investigating.

"But I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just saying us as a team didn't do the perfect job today and, with the margins of half a tenth, it is nothing. But today the few little mistakes we did clearly cost us a lot."

Unfortunately, the P16 low qualifying spot means that F1's Monza winner will have his work cut out for him on race day.

"It’s clearly not good on such a track to qualify so far behind and it’s a shame because everything before that went great.

"We just didn’t manage to put things together in quali and we made small mistakes in the worst possible moment.

"We need to find a way to recover as we know we are faster than this, so we’ll try to make our way back into the points tomorrow."

AlphaTauri tech boss Jody Egginton says the team has made its life for the race unnecessarily complicated.

"There is a lot of work to get through tonight in order to be fully prepared for the race, and today's result has made it harder than it should have been," said Egginton.

"However, we feel we have a package to be competitive tomorrow fighting with the cars in the midfield and this is our target."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

1 hour ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

2 hours ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

3 hours ago

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

4 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

6 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

7 hours ago