The Australian Grand Prix Corporation is working with Melbourne local government and health authorities on a plan to allow fans to attend next year's season opening round at Albert Park.
Melbourne is scheduled to kick off the F1 season on March 21, a year after a last-minute cancellation due to the coronavirus deprived Aussie F1 fans of one of the sport's most popular events.
To stem the spread of COVID-19, the state of Victoria imposed a long drawn out strict lockdown on its citizens. But at the end of last month, after 111 days in isolation and with the virus subdued, Melbourne finally emerged from the restrictive period
Barring any catastrophic re-acceleration of the coronavirus pandemic in the country, Aussie GP organizers are confident that they will be able to welcome race fans to their event next March.
"We're thrilled that the 2021 FIA Formula 1 World Championship will commence at its traditional home here in Melbourne," said AGPC CEO Andrew Westacott.
"We continue to work closely with health authorities and the Victorian government as we develop our plans for fan attendance, which will be announced when finalised."
Westacott said that Albert Park's specific environment represented the "perfect opportunity" to stage a safe event.
"We're adopting a sensible, adaptable and flexible approach, ensuring that a safe environment for fans and participants is our top priority.
"Our massive parkland venue with 10.6 kilometres of track frontage provides us with the perfect opportunity to create a COVID-safe venue."
As Melbourne returns to a semblance of normalcy, how the coronavirus pandemic will evolve in the coming months globally will determine the country's policy regarding its borders.
Quarantine measures could be imposed on Formula 1 personnel entering the state, a decision that would further complicate logistics for the opening event of the 2021 season.
Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
Lewis Hamilton has drawn a bold line under last season’s frustrations, declaring himself “re-set and…
McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…
Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…
Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…
Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…
Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…