F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Ferrari confirm team boss Binotto's absence in Turkey

Ferrari has confirmed that team boss Mattia Binotto will oversee the Scuderia's operations in Istanbul this weekend from its base in Maranello.

At Imola two weeks ago, Binotto alluded to the likelihood of him skipping the Turkey GP as Ferrari switches its focus to its 2021 program.

Ahead of this weekend's round at Istanbul Park, Ferrari sporting director Laurent Mekies - who will be in charge of the Scuderia in Turkey - confirmed Binotto's absence.

"Mattia has always approached his role in an innovative way, trying to think outside the box," Mekies said.

"He has come up with a method of working that gives the flexibility to manage the priorities in the most efficient way possible: he had already adopted this approach when he was technical director and has applied it even more so now as team principal.

"At first it might seem strange not to see him physically in the briefings or on the pit wall, but he will make use of all the current communication technologies so that his voice and input will be loud and clear to everyone, both inside and outside the team."

Ferrari is targeting a turnaround of its fortunes in 2021 after enduring its worst campaign in many years. At Imola, Binotto said the Italian outfit's efforts would lead to staff rotation in the future, a plan that includes himself.

"You need always to balance your tasks at the racetrack and at the factory, still the factory is important where we are developing the car, preparing the cars," he said.

"I think I will not follow all the races, even in 2020 I am already considering eventually skipping some of the racing in the last part of the season starting from Turkey.

"Because at the end, when you’re responsible for an entire team, certainly the race event is important, but the entire… management of the entire team is even more important.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

4 hours ago

Antonelli sees fixes, Russell stumbles as Bahrain reveals issues

Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…

5 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 6 in pictures

F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…

5 hours ago

Ferrari's Leclerc dominates final day of testing in Bahrain

Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…

6 hours ago

Vettel reveals his ‘gut feeling’ title favourite for 2026

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…

8 hours ago

Honda issues sink Aston Martin’s final day of running in Bahrain

Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…

9 hours ago