F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Leclerc self-isolating after positive COVID test

Ferrari's Charles Leclerc announced on Instagram on Thursday that he is undergoing a period of self-isolation at home in Monaco after testing positive for COVID-19.

"Hello guys, I hope you are all staying safe. I want to let you know that I have tested positive for COVID-19," Leclerc told his fans.

"I am regularly checked according to my team's protocols. Unfortunately, I learned that I have been in contact with a positive case and immediately went into self-isolation, notifying anyone I had contact with.

"A subsequent test I took has come back positive.

"I am feeling OK and have milk symptoms. I will remain in isolation in my home in Monaco in compliance with the regulations set by the local health authorities.

"Stay safe and take care."

Leclerc, who spent part of the holidays with his girlfriend in Dubai, is the fifth F1 driver to contract the coronavirus.

Last year, Racing Point's Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll both missed races after testing positive for COVID-19 while 2020 world champion Lewis Hamilton was also hit with the virus in Bahrain.

Finally, McLaren's Lando Norris is currently in quarantine in Dubai after revealing last week that he had tested positive.

The Ferrari team issued the following statement in the wake of Leclerc's positive test.

"Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow driver Charles Leclerc has tested positive for COVID-19," the team said.

"In accordance with the team's protocols, Charles is tested regularly and yesterday, the result from his latest test came back positive.

"Charles notified us immediately and has informed everyone he has been in close contact with in the last few days.

"He is currently feeling OK with mild symptoms and is now self-isolating at home in Monaco."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

3 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

4 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

6 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

7 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

8 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

10 hours ago