Ferrari's Charles Leclerc announced on Instagram on Thursday that he is undergoing a period of self-isolation at home in Monaco after testing positive for COVID-19.
"Hello guys, I hope you are all staying safe. I want to let you know that I have tested positive for COVID-19," Leclerc told his fans.
"I am regularly checked according to my team's protocols. Unfortunately, I learned that I have been in contact with a positive case and immediately went into self-isolation, notifying anyone I had contact with.
"A subsequent test I took has come back positive.
"I am feeling OK and have milk symptoms. I will remain in isolation in my home in Monaco in compliance with the regulations set by the local health authorities.
"Stay safe and take care."
Leclerc, who spent part of the holidays with his girlfriend in Dubai, is the fifth F1 driver to contract the coronavirus.
Last year, Racing Point's Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll both missed races after testing positive for COVID-19 while 2020 world champion Lewis Hamilton was also hit with the virus in Bahrain.
Finally, McLaren's Lando Norris is currently in quarantine in Dubai after revealing last week that he had tested positive.
- Read also: Leclerc dashes with Charlotte in the desert
The Ferrari team issued the following statement in the wake of Leclerc's positive test.
"Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow driver Charles Leclerc has tested positive for COVID-19," the team said.
"In accordance with the team's protocols, Charles is tested regularly and yesterday, the result from his latest test came back positive.
"Charles notified us immediately and has informed everyone he has been in close contact with in the last few days.
"He is currently feeling OK with mild symptoms and is now self-isolating at home in Monaco."