F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Tsunoda admits to 'mixed feelings' after Q3 first and crash

Yuki Tsunoda will start Sunday's Azerbaijan Grand Prix among the top ten following his first visit to Q3 on Saturday, but a crash in the final shootout left the AlphaTauri driver with mixed feelings.

Tsunoda kept it together in the first two stages of a qualifying session that was repeatedly disrupted by red flags.

But in the final segment, the rookie - a first-time visitor to Baku - overcooked it on the entry to the track's uncompromising Turn 15.

"I went too late on the braking, got a lock up on the late entry and no chance to make the corner. A shame," he told Sky F1.

The mistake left the 21-year-old Japanese charger P8 in the pecking order but also with mixed feelings. On the one hand he was happy with his performance that follows a succession of difficult races and errors, but on the other his crash obviously dampened his enthusiasm.

However, Tsunoda highlighted his build-up to this week's round of racing, having conducted his preparations with his team in Faenza after Red Bull's decision to relocate its protégé to Italy after his disappointing Monaco Grand Prix weekend.

"Until Q2 I was really happy, especially the process to this week was, compared to previous races, really good," he said.

"First time in Azerbaijan and it was good building up a pace. First time in Q3 this time so definitely happy but mixed feelings to be honest.

"A start in the points, compared to Monaco it's a bit easier to overtake, so hopefully I can put it altogether tomorrow."

Tsunoda apologized to his AlphaTauri team for the extra hours his crew will need to put in to repair his car, although the damage wasn't as bad as his heavy crash in qualifying at Imola earlier this season.

"It's not as bad as Imola I would say," he said. "I don't have to worry about the gearbox, that's a positive thing."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Haas targets top-10 return in Canada as team unleashes VF-26 upgrade

Read also: Haas is set to roll out a heavily revised VF-26 in Montreal this…

4 hours ago

Mercedes confirms Montreal upgrade: ‘We need to respond’

Toto Wolff has fired a clear warning to Formula 1’s chasing pack ahead of this…

5 hours ago

Schumacher facing challenging Indy 500 debut after qualifying

Mick Schumacher is officially locked into the field for his very first Indianapolis 500, though…

7 hours ago

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

8 hours ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

9 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

10 hours ago