F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Hamilton has started 'positive' contract talks with Mercedes

Lewis Hamilton has confirmed that he has initiated contract talks with Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff, saying that initial discussions have been "positive".

The seven-time world champion agreed to a one-year deal with Mercedes just weeks before the start of the 2021 season. But both parties committed to an early resolution, one way or the other, to their talks for 2022 and perhaps beyond.

"We have begun discussions," Hamilton said in Spielberg on Thursday. "Not a lot to say, [not] too much on it, we have had discussions and things are positive."

So far, Hamilton's comments point to the 36-year-old extending his stay in F1, regardless of the outcome of this year's tirtle battle with Red Bull's Max Verstappen.

However, with Mercedes also having its second seat on the backburner, with Valtteri Bottas and George Russell in contention for the plum drive, Wolff will be facing a busy summer of negotiations and decisions.

It is believed that Hamilton has pleaded Bottas' case, likely arguing that keeping the Finn on the other side of the Mercedes garage would preserve the outfit's harmony and balance.

On Thursday, Hamilton confirmed that stance, labeling Bottas "the best teammate overall" he has ever had in F1.

"When I say teammate, it’s not just about driver performance," Hamilton said. "It’s about team morale, it’s about how you work in the teammate environment.

"Look, Valtteri is my teammate now, and both of us have had ups and downs in our careers. But as I said, I think he is a fantastic teammate, and I don’t necessarily see that it needs to change."

Queried on the possibility of Russell replacing Bottas from 2022, Hamilton evading the question.

"Well he’s not my teammate currently, so I don’t need to say anything else."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Norris hoping to plug in to Formula E with future track test

Fresh from witnessing the action at last weekend’s Monaco E-Prix, Lando Norris openly admitted that…

47 minutes ago

Honda's target in Montreal: Help drivers ‘build more confidence’

Honda heads into this week’s Canadian Grand Prix carrying both cautious optimism and clear intent,…

2 hours ago

Panis pulls off a stunner in the Principality

If you're going to win just a single Grand Prix in your F1 career, Monaco…

3 hours ago

Indy 500 front-row starter Rossi injured in massive practice crash

Alexander Rossi’s preparations for next weekend’s Indy 500 were thrown into chaos on Monday after…

5 hours ago

Ford elaborates on F1’s potential V8 future: ‘We love the idea’

Formula 1’s next great engine debate is no longer happening in whispers behind factory doors.…

6 hours ago

Why F1 bosses are rejecting Hamilton’s ‘seat at the table’ appeal

Lewis Hamilton has urged the FIA and Formula 1 to give drivers a formal “seat…

7 hours ago