F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Wolff troubled by Red Bull's 'personal attacks and 'language'

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff admitted to being troubled by the personal attacks and the language fired by the Red Bull camp in the aftermath of last Sunday's controversial British Grand Prix.

Red Bull's top brass laid the blame for the collision that sent Max Verstappen into the barriers on the opening lap of the race at Silverstone on Lewis Hamilton, with team boss Christian Horner calling the Briton's "desperate" move a piece of "dirty driving", while Helmut Marko followed suit, insisting Hamilton had been "reckless".

Furthermore, the Verstappen father and son tandem lambasted a "disrespectful" Mercedes team for enjoying a post-race victory celebration all the while Max was in hospital undergoing a series of checks.

Wolff said he understood the turmoil and commotion in the Red Bull camp, but the Austrian made clear that the scathing criticism went too far.

"I think you can understand that from a competitors' point of view, the situation was upsetting," he told Motorsport.com. "I can understand that.

"Nevertheless, the language that was used, and making it so personal, was a level that we have not seen in this sport before.

"I understand the bias on the crash itself and the emotions of a father, and I would probably be the same, but I would use different language."

©Mercedes

Regarding Max and Jos Verstappen's incensed reaction to Mercedes' celebrations, Wolff said the Brackley squad only indulged in the post-race ritual once it was informed by Red Bull and the FIA that Verstappen was uninjured.

"We had the feedback from senior management of Red Bull that Max was fine," Wolff explained.

"Christian [Horner] mentioned it to [F1 race director] Michael Masi on the intercom that he's unharmed and fine, and the FIA gave us similar feedback.

"So at no point would we have celebrated if Max would have been injured. And I think that's very important to understand."

Looking ahead, Wolff said that he would likely touch base with Red Bull once the dust has settled, to restore Mercedes' "professional relationship" with the Milton Keynes team.

"I think once the emotions are down, we will try to restore our professional relationship for the sake of Formula 1," said Wolff. "But beyond that, there were no discussions, and don't need to be."

The Austrian is also aware that Red Bull is mulling an appeal of the stewards' decision to sanction Hamilton in the race with a 10-second penalty by providing GPS data that shows that the Mercedes driver entered Copse corner mush faster than on any other lap.

"This is Formula 1. None of that worries me," said Wolff.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

1 hour ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

3 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

4 hours ago

Cadillac F1 owner Mark Walter reportedly facing US federal probe

The Cadillac F1 team heads into this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix with a new team…

18 hours ago

An F1 baptism by fire on home turf for Berger

On this day in 1984, Gerhard Berger started the first of his 210 Grands Prix,…

20 hours ago

Williams end Sainz uncertainty with multi-year contract extension

Williams has moved decisively to end the uncertainty over Carlos Sainz’s future, confirming that the…

21 hours ago