F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Ilott extends IndyCar deal with Juncos-Hollinger

Ferrari protégé Callum Ilott will make his IndyCar debut with Juncos-Hollinger this weekend at Portland, but the US outfit will also rely on the British rookie for the championship's final two rounds.

In addition to Portland, Ilott will race with Juncos-Hollinger at Laguna Seca and at long Beach later this month.

"We are looking forward to a great debut as a team tomorrow on-track and to build on each session throughout the next few weeks," said team boss Ricardo Juncos.

"Callum brings a great deal of talent, and we have all been working hard together over the past few weeks to build our program, so it feels great to carry this relationship as a team for the rest of the season."

Ilott, who enjoyed FP1 outings with Alfa Romeo at the Austrian and Styrian Grands prix earlier this summer, hasn't been mentioned as a potential full-time recruit by the Swiss outfit, which has encouraged the 22-year-old to seek an opportunity in the US.

Ilott, who shares his Alfa Romeo reserve status in F1 with Robert Kubica, says that his venture into IndyCar received the green light from Ferrari.

"We spoke and it’s a great opportunity for me," said the Briton, quoted by Motorsport.com.

“Obviously recently there were some COVID issues with the Alfa Romeo team [following Kimi Raikkonen testing positive at Zandvoort] but not to get confused, I was never scheduled to be at those events anyway.

"I have these two weekends free and so unfortunately there was never an opportunity for me to drive in place of Kimi.

"So Ferrari weren’t against me doing this race. The only thing to discuss was for the next two races, and see what the best option was, and seems to me it was to be out here and to do those races [Laguna Seca and Long Beach].

"It took a little bit of negotiation to sort it out but I’m here and I’m going to enjoy it."

©AlfaRomeo

Ilott said that his involvement with Juncos-Hollinger was for three races only, but discussions over 2022 are already taking place.

"We’re in discussions, but for sure it’s of interest," he said.

"They’ve got 20-plus drivers who are interested at the moment! But I’m the one here and driving the car so it’s a good point to carry on from – but I need to see what I can do."

"[Team co-owners Ricardo Juncos and Brad Hollinger] have put together an amazing team in two months and we’ll see what we can do. From my side, I think we can do an amazing job and it may take one or two races to get there.

"It’s new for the team, new for me, I’m excited and I definitely feel there can be some good results."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

24 mins ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

2 hours ago

Aston Martin F1 secures naming rights in perpetuity amid turmoil

The Aston Martin F1 team will carry its name into Grand Prix racing’s future in…

3 hours ago

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

17 hours ago

Antonelli sees fixes, Russell stumbles as Bahrain reveals issues

Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…

18 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 6 in pictures

F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…

18 hours ago