F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Vettel takes blame for Turkish GP dry tyre blunder

Sebastian Vettel held himself accountable for the disastrous dry tyre call that ruined his chances of scoring points in Sunday's Turkish Grand Prix.

The Aston Martin driver was running just inside the top ten when he decided to shed his intermediate tyres after 36 laps and bolt on a set of mediums despite the still damp track conditions.

The choice raised a few eyebrows in the pitlane but rival teams were nevertheless attentive to Vettel's bold strategy.

Alas, a track that remained damp and more drizzles of rain squandered the German's plan almost immediately, forcing him to revert in short order to inters.

"I couldn’t make them work, it was the wrong call," Vettel admitted. "I wanted to try because there wasn’t much rubber left on the inters so I thought that the dries would be different or a little bit better as the grip is higher.

"I couldn’t break the tyre in and I couldn’t get any grip so we lost the race.

"It is a no-brainer [call] now but at that time I don't know. I was tempted some laps before and the inters were not getting any better.

"If you look at the inter tyres there is nothing left on them, they look like a slick, so I think I had reason but obviously it was the wrong decision.

"We lost the run for points, maybe one or two but in the end, we didn’t get any."

Vettel said Istanbul Park's track surface, which was water-blasted ahead of last weekend's race to improve grip levels, was "good fun but also a bit strange, similar to last year with the intermediates and staying out so long."

"At some point I thought it was ready for dry tyres so I took the risk but it didn't work," he added.

"Last year I was thinking 15 laps to go that I wanted to try the slick tyres when the track was a little bit worse so I thought it was worth a go but it proved to be wrong."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

3 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

4 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

4 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

5 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

6 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

8 hours ago