F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Honda 'cannot believe' Mercedes' run of engine changes

Honda F1 technical director Toyoharu Tanabe admits to being baffled by the rate at which Mercedes is currently adding new engines to its pool of hardware and which is leading to grid penalties for its drivers.

As Mercedes and Red Bull – and their star drivers – fiercely battle for the world championship, the German manufacturer has is doing its best to fend off the reliability issues that have impacted its power unit in the second half of the 2021 season.

Valtteri Bottas was the recipient of new hardware in Monza, Sochi and Austin, enduring a grid demotion at each venue while Lewis Hamilton was assigned new ICE units in Turkey and again this weekend in Brazil.

©Mercedes

Tanabe is astonished by the engine turnover in the Mercedes camp which is accustomed to rock solid reliability.

"Yes, I'm pretty surprised. Changing the ICE week after week," said Tanabe in Sao Paulo.

"So after, I cannot believe what's going on and why. But from the PU manufacturer point of view, it is disappointing to get a PU penalty for the driver."

Comparatively, Honda has only allocated one extra engine to each of Red Bull's drivers in the back half of the 2021 season, with the changes caused by crash damage rather by a reliability issue.

Championship leader Max Verstappen took a new fourth power unit in Russia and so far, there are no signs that the Dutchman will require another piece of hardware in the final leg of the campaign.

"The current plan is we can manage the PUs the rest of the season for all drivers," explained Tanabe.

"We had some accidents during the season and then lose some PUs, but at the moment, we have a sufficient number of units for all drivers."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Russell's cheeky 'engagement' joke after Zandvoort sprint pole

Dutch Grand Prix Sprint poleman George Russell returned from Formula 1’s summer break with a…

4 hours ago

Alonso singles out new Honda power unit for Sprint Qualifying miss

Fernando Alonso arrived at Zandvoort hoping Honda’s much-anticipated new power unit would help Aston Martin…

5 hours ago

Antonelli says early off compromised Sprint qualifying pace

Kimi Antonelli emerged from Friday’s Sprint qualifying only 0.227 seconds off Mercedes team-mate George Russell’s…

5 hours ago

Dutch GP: Friday's action in pictures

Mercedes stole a march on its rivals along the shores of the North Sea on…

6 hours ago

Dutch GP: Russell snatches pole for Zandvoort Sprint

George Russell produced a late surge to claim pole position for Saturday’s Dutch Grand Prix…

7 hours ago

Dutch Grand Prix - Sprint qualifying results

Full results from Sprint qualifying for the Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, round 12 of…

7 hours ago