Alfa Romeo F1 reserve Robert Kubica has added a full season in the World Endurance Championship to his 2022 schedule, the Pole joining Prema's LMP2 line-up in the series.

The Italian outfit that has mentored a plethora of single-seater young guns makes its entry into the WEC this year with an Oreca 07-Gibson that will be steered by Kubica, Louis Deletraz and FIA Formula 3 winner Lorenzo Colombo.

The team will race under the 'Prema Orlen Team' banner thanks to the backing of Kubica's faithful sponsor, Polish oil company Orlen.

Kubica's involvement with Prema will be a homecoming of sorts for the 37-year-old who raced for the front-running single-seater squad in the Formula 3 Euroseries back in 2003.

©AlfaRomeo

"I know the Rosin family and a few key people from then, and although a lot of time has passed, we all know from single seaters that the team is extremely competitive," said the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix winner.

"It is a new challenge for the team and for me as well since I only raced in three FIA WEC events last year, Le Mans and the two Bahrain events.

"I'm happy to work with Louis, who I know from last year's ELMS and Le Mans, and Lorenzo. I'm looking forward to this challenge which will require a lot of work and dedication.

"Hopefully we will be able to start the season strong, without major issues. We have a lot to focus on in front of us and I can't wait for the season to start."

Kubica won't be the only ex-F1 driver to tackle the WEC this year, with former Sauber charger and Mercedes test driver Esteban Gutierrez also joining the fray.

The Mexican – who hasn't raced competitively since 2017 - has signed up with the Inter Europol LMP2 team and will race alongside Alex Brundle and Kuba Smiechowski.

This year's WEC will feature six rounds, the first of which will take place at Sebring on March 18, while the Le Mans 24 Hours will revert to its traditional June schedule with the event unfolding on 11-12 June.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

8 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

9 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

11 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

12 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

13 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

14 hours ago