F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Palou and O'Ward handed FP1 outings with McLaren

X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

IndyCar chargers Alex Palou and Pato O'Ward will make their FP1 Formula 1 debuts with McLaren in the final races of the 2022 season.

Both drivers were in action with McLaren last week in Austria at the wheel of the team's 2021-sepc car, the pair enjoying at the Red Bull Ring their second private driver development test of the year after last month's track days in Barcelona.

But the Woking-based outfit had yet to fulfil its two mandatory young driver sessions for 2022.

Palou will roll out first onboard McLaren's MCL36, the Spaniard replacing Daniel Ricciardo in the opening session at next week's United States Grand Prix in Austin.

"I’m so excited to be making my F1 weekend debut," said the Chip Ganassi Racing driver. "It’s great to be driving in the United States in front of fans that may have seen me race in IndyCar.

"Having driven the 2021 McLaren MCL35M in a few tests now, I can’t wait to put the MCL36 through its paces. I look forward to helping the team in their preparation for the 2022 United States Grand Prix."

As for O'Ward, the Mexican will showcase his skills in FP1 at the final round of the season in Abu Dhabi, where the 23-year-old tested with McLaren at the end of last year.

"I’m so excited to be making my F1 weekend debut," said the Arrow McLaren SP charger.

"It’s great to be driving in the United States in front of fans that may have seen me race in IndyCar.

Having driven the 2021 McLaren MCL35M in a few tests now, I can’t wait to put the MCL36 through its paces.

"I look forward to helping the team in their preparation for the 2022 United States Grand Prix."

McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl said:

"We’re pleased to give Alex and Pato the opportunity to take part in free practice sessions with McLaren.

"With Alex’s great successes in IndyCar, it will be useful for the team to get his feedback on the car and for us to continue to evaluate him as a driver.

"Alex and Pato impressed with their recent tests in Barcelona and Austria and we’re excited to offer them the experience in the MCL36.

"It’s a great chance for them to showcase their skills on Formula 1’s global stage, where the focus will be to help the team prepare for the race weekend and not on ultimate lap times."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Haas rolling the dice with risky VF-25 floor update in Suzuka

Haas heads into the Japanese Grand Prix weekend with a risky move after fast-tracking a…

21 mins ago

Japanese GP: Thursday's build-up in pictures

The Japanese Grand Prix roars into action this weekend at one of its most iconic…

2 hours ago

Norris: McLaren ‘unbeatable’is just rivals ‘talking crap’

Lando Norris, the current F1 championship leader, has hit out at suggestions that McLaren holds…

3 hours ago

A historic first, and last, for Andretti at Long Beach

Mario Andretti won the 1977 US Grand Prix West at Long Beach on this day…

4 hours ago

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

5 hours ago

Verstappen: Red Bull’s ‘main issue’ is the car, not the drivers

Max Verstappen has defended the efforts of his now former Red Bull teammate Liam Lawson,…

6 hours ago