F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Williams: No 'concrete' back-up plan if Sargeant misses F1 superlicence

Williams boss Jost Capito says his team does not have a concrete plan in place if Logan Sargeant fails to secure his F1 superlicence at the end of the season.

Sargeant will partner Alex Albon at Williams next year subject to the young American remaining eligible for Formula 1's mandatory permit.

Sargeant currently sits third in the FIA Formula 2 Championship with two races to go in Abu Dhabi next month. Theoretically, that classification - if maintained - guarantees the points tally that would qualify the young American for a superlicence.

But the point spread among the top six in the championship is tight, so any misfortune or DNF coupled with a good result by one of his pursuing rivals could out Sargeant's superlicence bid in jeopardy.

Furthermore, boost its young driver's chances just in case, Williams has assigned Sargeant to two additional FP1 outings at F1's upcoming round in Mexico and at the sport's season finale next month in Abu Dhabi.

Read also:

Asked last weekend in Austin if Williams had a plan B in place if the worst comes to pass for Sargeant, Capito said: "Yeah, but not concrete, not a name.

"There will be drivers who do not get a contract. There are still very good drivers, and have the superlicence points on that, so that's fine."

Capito said Williams assigned Sargeant to free practice outings in Mexico and at Yas Marina to "make the risk as minimal as possible", but also to optimize its young charger's preparations for the early part of 2023.

"We want to prepare Logan as good as possible for next season," said the German. "That means he has to maximise the time in the car this year, so that's why we gave give him three FP1.

"It gives him additional superlicence points. They're for sure not hurting. And then he will also do the young driver test after Abu Dhabi.

"It's part of the preparation now to get Logan in the best possible position for the beginning of next season."

Looking ahead at this weekend's action in Mexico City, Sargeant expects to build on the knowledge he gained last week at the Circuit of the Americas. But running in Mexico City's rarefied air will be a new experience for the Williams rookie.

"I’m excited to be getting back in the car for FP1 in Mexico and building on the progress I made in Austin.

"My first session gave me a chance to reference the driveability of the car, the way it handles and how it feels on the brakes.

"All these learnings will help me to visualise everything and make the necessary changes before I go into my second FP1 session.

"Being able to have the experience of driving an F1 car at high altitude will be beneficial to my development."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Alonso singles out new Honda power unit for Sprint Qualifying miss

Fernando Alonso arrived at Zandvoort hoping Honda’s much-anticipated new power unit would help Aston Martin…

2 hours ago

Antonelli says early off compromised Sprint qualifying pace

Kimi Antonelli emerged from Friday’s Sprint qualifying only 0.227 seconds off Mercedes team-mate George Russell’s…

2 hours ago

Dutch GP: Friday's action in pictures

Mercedes stole a march on its rivals along the shores of the North Sea on…

3 hours ago

Dutch GP: Russell snatches pole for Zandvoort Sprint

George Russell produced a late surge to claim pole position for Saturday’s Dutch Grand Prix…

4 hours ago

Dutch Grand Prix - Sprint qualifying results

Full results from Sprint qualifying for the Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, round 12 of…

4 hours ago

Tech F1i: A look at the F1 teams' array of upgrades at Zandvoort

Formula 1 returns from its summer break with the competitive order still finely poised, and…

5 hours ago