F1 News, Reports and Race Results

McLaren hands Palou F1 reserve driver role for 2023

McLaren has nominated 2021 IndyCar champion Alex Palou as one of its reserve drivers for the 2023 Formula 1 season.

Last summer, McLaren Racing's IndyCar affiliate Arrows McLaren SP signed up Palou for its 2023 campaign in America. But the agreement was successfully contested by Chip Ganassi Racing who held a valid contract on the Spaniard's services for next season.

The two parties eventually settled their case, with CGR retaining Palou in its IndyCar team for 2023 but giving the 25-year-old a free pass to test in F1 with McLaren.

The Woking-based outfit subsequently added Palou to its Testing of Previous Cars (TPC) programme alongside Pato O'Ward, with the pair having enjoyed in the past few months private test outings in Barcelona and in Spielberg as well as an FP1 session each.

But next year, as McLaren's reserve, Palou will also be attending all F1 races that don't clash with the CGR driver's IndyCar schedule.

"I’m excited to be part of the McLaren team as one of their reserve drivers in 2023," said Palou.

"I’ve been behind the wheel of both the MCL35M and MCL36 and it has been a great experience, so I can’t wait for the involvement with next year’s car.

"I look forward to continuing my development as a driver and I appreciate the trust McLaren have in me with this new role next year."

McLaren F1 boss Andreas Seidl has so far been impressed with what he's seen from Palou.

"The team are pleased to have Alex on board as one of our reserve drivers for next season," said the German.

"He impressed with his FP1 session in Austin and his driver development tests this year.

"He has many notable motorsports achievements so far, particularly the 2021 INDYCAR championship title so it’s brilliant to be able to expand his role in the team and we look forward to working more closely with him."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

4 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

5 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

5 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

6 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

8 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

9 hours ago