F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Gasly at risk of race ban: 'I'm not a silly or dangerous driver!'

Pierre Gasly heads into the new season with a new start at a new team, Alpine - but nonetheless faces an immediate risk of missing a race thanks to old misdemeanours.

During his final campaign with AlphaTauri, the French driver managed to pick up ten penalty points on his superlicence, which means he's just two away from incurring an automatic one-race ban.

His penalty points won't start to expire until May 22, so if he gets two more points before then Gasly will become the first driver since the system was introduced to earn a mandatory ban as a result.

Half the points were for on-track incidents with Lance Stroll and Sebastian Vettel, but the others have been a result of relatively mild infractions.

He was penalised for driving too fast under a red flag in Japan, failing to stay within ten car lengths of the car in front behind the safety car in the United States GP, and for track limit offences in Austria.

“I try not to think of myself as not as a silly driver or dangerous driver,” Gasly told Motorsport.com last month.

“I try to be careful with all the, let’s say, silly penalty points you could lose with procedures and stuff like that," he said, adding: I try to be on top of that.

"I really hope we can have a review on the whole system," he said. "I do believe I’m not going to be the only one in trouble if we keep it that way, and it will be a shame to see four or five racing drivers banned for a race."

Gasly said the extended length of the season was one of the problems with the current penalty points system. "When it was introduced, we had only 19 or 20 races [a year].

"Now some guys are only four points away, with 24 races and six sprints - so 30 races a year," he pointed out. "So clearly it will make sense to get more points on this licence."

Although Gasly said that he was confident "that the FIA will look into this and find solutions to make it more fair for everyone", the governing body has not made any moves on the issue so far during the winter off-season.

The other drivers with penalty points heading into 2023 (and the date that the first points come off the current total) are:

  • Lance Stroll (Aston Martin) - 8pts - 2pts expire on April 9
  • Alex Albon (Williams) - 7pts - 2pts expire on March 26
  • Fernando Alonso (Aston Martin) - 6pts - 3pts expire on May 8
  • Esteban Ocon (Alpine) - 5pts - 2pts expire on March 20
  • Zhou Guanyu (Alfa Romeo) - 4pts - 1pt expires on March 26
  • Yuki Tsunoda (AlphaTauri) - 4pts - 2pts expire on July 3
  • George Russell (Mercedes) - 4pts - 2pts expire on July 10
  • Kevin Magnussen (Haas) - 3pts - 2pts expire on May 8
  • Lando Norris (Sergio Perez) - 3pts - 1pt expires on July 10
  • Sergio Perez (Red Bull) - 2pts - Expire on October 3
  • Max Verstappen (Red Bull) - 2pts - Expires on November 13
  • Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) - 1pt - Expires on October 9

Valtteri Bottas, Lewis Hamilton and Carlos Sainz all currently have no penalty points on their superlicence heading into the new year.

And of course, rookie drivers Oscar Piastri, Nyck de Vries and Logan Sargeant also start with a clean sheet.

De Vries did take part in one race in 2022 at Monza subbing for Albon, but incurred no penalty points. Neither did Nico Hulkenberg when he sat in for Sebastian Vettel at Aston Martin in the first two races of the season. He will now return full-time with Haas in 2023.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

An F1 baptism by fire on home turf for Berger

On this day in 1984, Gerhard Berger started the first of his 210 Grands Prix,…

1 hour ago

Williams end Sainz uncertainty with multi-year contract extension

Williams has moved decisively to end the uncertainty over Carlos Sainz’s future, confirming that the…

3 hours ago

Confirmed: Hadjar out, Lawson in at Red Bull for Dutch GP

Red Bull has confirmed that Isack Hadjar will miss this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix after…

4 hours ago

Honda facing ‘important milestone’ as new PU debuts at Dutch GP

Honda is ready to give Aston Martin another reason for optimism at Zandvoort, with its…

5 hours ago

Albon explains why he backs Williams: 'We needed this tough year'

Alex Albon says he’s chosen belief over frustration in his decision to commit his future…

7 hours ago

Horner set for UK book tour to promote highly anticipated memoir

Christian Horner will be on tour this autumn. But fortunately for Formula 1 fans, however,…

8 hours ago