F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Horner clarifies 'ludicrous' comment on Baku Sprint

Christian Horner has clarified the comments he made last month in Melbourne about Formula 1's decision to hold the first of its six Sprint events in the high-risk environment of Baku.

The Red Bull team boss called the sport's choice of Baku "ludicrous" and a big mistake, citing the risk of a major accident occurring on the tight and twisty street circuit at a time when teams are still building up their supply of spare parts.

Furthermore, Baku will be followed next week by Miami, another street circuit, which only adds to potential supply issues in the event of a damage-laden weekend in Azerbaijan.

Read also:

Horner said that his criticism last month was "taken a little bit out of context".

"What I said was it is completely mad to be doing a Sprint race here at this circuit, probably one of the most dangerous on the calendar from a team's point of view because the jeopardy, the damage that potentially is there with another street race next weekend," Horner told Sky Sports in Baku after FP1.

"But from a fan's point of view, from an action point of view, it is going to be flat-out racing all weekend here.

"So I think there is going to be plenty of action and it is going to be about trying to navigate your way through it as seamlessly as you can."

Red Bull concluded Friday's single practice session first and third with Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez. Despite the disrupted running and a red flag neutralization, the team managed to run through its programmes.

"We got some data across two compounds of tyres, we have had a look at two variants of fuel loads," said Horner.

"It is now a matter of processing that data because this is the last chance for engineers and drivers to introduce a change before qualifying because the cars are essentially in lockdown."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

49 minutes ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

2 hours ago

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

3 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

4 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

5 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

6 hours ago